Another HD 4800 thread :)

MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I've been tempted to blow the moths out of my wallet and get one of the new ATI bad boys :). Checking the benchmarks, they definitely look worth the cash... or lack thereof! The only thing stopping me at the moment is the problem with cards' heat. I was wondering... is this just a simple driver issue, or is it hardware? If it's the former, then it would seem feasible to get one now and wait for the fix to correct the problem later (I've read that you can play around and tune the fan stepping). If not, I'll just have to wait for the card revisions in the next month or so... which seems a lot longer than it is if you've been after these cards for a while already :(.

Secondly, I notice that the 4850s are reverting back to the retro 'copper + fan strapper the side of the card' instead of using wind tunnel that everyone agreed was awesome?! Does anyone have any ideas if these will be used in the second revision at all? it's just a bit frustrating because the 4850 is a great card, but even the custom head sinks still blow air back into the case.

Thanks all.

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    At first i did have problems with heat and my 4870, however doing a quick google search revealed how to easily setup multiple profiles in CCC for multiple fan speeds. It's a very simple fix and shouldn't hold you back from getting your card! :p