How much does 2/3 ms make vs 5ms for gaming?

edited August 2008 in Hardware
It seems to me that most of the better looking monitors out there are 5ms. Is it really necessary to go down to 2 or 3 ms for games or does 5 do the job pretty well too? Its hard to tell in the store because they usually just have their own little ads playing on the monitors that tell you very little about the quality of the monitor you're looking at. Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    In my opinion (Some people are convinced they have scientifically-calibrated eyesight), 2-5ms makes no damn difference. Blurring becomes noticeable at 8ms or higher.
  • MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
    edited July 2008
    I'd be careful. TFT response time is not always what it says on the tin. Often the specs you read on the product details (site or in a shop) are... enhanced to make it look better :P. Often what they neglect to tell you is the input lag for a monitor. Whereas old CRTs would display the image straight away, TFTs take slightly longer to process and render. That said, some people argue (as Thrax did) that the delay is negligible.

If I were you, I'd check out some reviews before you part with your money :).
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    Most time they just provide the Gray to Gray speed, which does not reflect the color to color performance.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    In my opinion (Some people are convinced they have scientifically-calibrated eyesight), 2-5ms makes no damn difference. Blurring becomes noticeable at 8ms or higher.

yea, i agree. there's really no point in buying a monitor with 2MS response time. look at the response time when considering a monitor, but it should'nt be your main focus. as long as it's no higher than 12ms (i'd try to stay below 8ms, as thrax said) you'll like it. just make sure you get a good resolution, good lumens, a high contrast ratio (highest you can afford, the better) and make sure it has all the inputs you need (dsub, dvi, component, svideo etc.)