BIOS/WINDOWS/ROM Unresponsive Help!

edited July 2008 in Hardware
My Roommate had purchased a Fugitsu LifeBook P1620.

It was previously owned by a pharmaceutical company, so needless to say it is password protected, on Windows AND the BIOS.

It is a mini laptop, and the reason why i mention this is because, it has NO Rom Drive, and NO Floppy Drive.

He Bought a DVD Rom, so that we could restore/remove pw windows on it and at least take of the windows issue. well it will not read it, or boot from it (Even when specified F12 startup), because its external connected by USB. I cannot get into the BIOS to set it up to take the usb.

Safe mode also is password secured. It will not read a usb device either, as i tried to use a bootable portable program.

So Emergency help is needed.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2008
    Selendrile wrote:
    ...it is password protected, on Windows AND the BIOS...
    My simplistic solution for you is to run down the password(s).

Otherwise, unless someone here knows how (unlikely and/or maybe unwilling), you will have to contact manufacturer support and may have to provide some sort of proof of ownership.
  • edited July 2008
    If by proof of ownership you mean it's in my house.

Haha, Otherwise no.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    He purchased it through a buy back program or something? Are the "As is" type things where this 3rd party is selling for the company getting rid of the equipment?
  • edited July 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    He purchased it through a buy back program or something? Are the "As is" type things where this 3rd party is selling for the company getting rid of the equipment?

That is exactly what how he got it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    You may be in for a tough ride. One of the features totes about that laptop is it's security ability to lock it the hell down on a hardware level.

Searching on the net it's looking like you have to send it to fuji and have them fix it for the fee of around $150.

We strongly ask you to omit any tips for removing BIOS password because it is impossible to check the ownership of the Notebook here in this forum.

All Notebooks of Fujitsu Siemens Computers have been delivered without any BIOS password. If you have bought a new Laptop with any BIOS -password, please contact your dealer immediately. If there is set any password after repair, please contact the executive repair shop.

Fujitsu Siemens Computers offers a service to remove the BIOS password after the legal owner of the device is verified. Therefore please contact your local Fujitsu Siemens Computers helpdesk or a service partner of our company.

Basically your pretty mush screwed. One other avenue - possible if you know the pharma that originally owned the laptop you may be able to get into contact with their IT dept and possible talk them into it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    One other avenue - possible if you know the pharma that originally owned the laptop you may be able to get into contact with their IT dept and possible talk them into it.
    That would be my first suggestion, see if you can get in touch with IT and find someone nice enough to talk to you.
    edited July 2008
    See, the problem I have with this is that Windows is still on it? I guess I would wonder how a pharmacy would let go of any PC without at least having done a disk wipe?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    usually refurb shops flash a new os onto them to sell them.
    edited July 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    usually refurb shops flash a new os onto them to sell them.

I doubt they would password protect it. I think this was sold "as is". It is, however, possible that all vital data is on a remote share or server. Still, most admins of sensitive information machines I know of usually don't let go of a machine without removing/replacing the hard drive (I've owned such a machine).

I agree with you and think that the best option here is to try and get whatever is needed from the pharmacy or their IT.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks guys.
    I appreciate it.