Asus K8N will not boot - power LED but no fan, no anything

khankhan New
edited July 2008 in Hardware
First of all - man I haven't been to these forums in a looooong time. I used to be a regular/lurker, then I ran out of money and time =). Glad my account is still around.

My computer was freezing up while playing games so I figured heat was the problem. I popped open the case to clean it out. Dusted the components, cleaned up the cables, and when I got ready to fire it back up again nothing happened...

I can see a good, green power LED on the board when I connect power to the PSU, showing that the mobo is getting power. Pushing the power button results in...nothing. No post, no fans spin up, not even on the PSU. I tried removing components, the vid card, the RAM, the sound card...right now it is just the processor in there, and still nothing happens when I power it on.

I thought the power switch might be bad, so I tried using a jumper on the power switch pins, still no dice. Any ideas, or did my motherboard just kick the bucket on me totally? (or my PSU?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...not sure if I can afford to start replacing components but I thought I had a perfectly good machine.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Those are similar symptoms to a motherboard I once had paired to a dead CPU.
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Those are similar symptoms to a motherboard I once had paired to a dead CPU.

Shiiiiiiiiit. Any idea why the CPU would have just crapped out on me like that after working just dandy for a few years?
    edited July 2008
    Why do cars work one day, and not turn over the next? :confused:

Computers are weird. But this is a supposition, of course.
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2008
    Although I hate to admit I did not heed your advice, I have good news: on a whim, my brother was passing by a best buy and I had him grab me an ATX PSU off the shelf. Plugged it in and sure enough the system boots. Gives me crap about the missing an important system file for windows, but I can reinstall later. It lives!
    edited July 2008
    Win! The 3.3v must've gone the way of the dodo.