Weird problem I think is spyware related

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited July 2008 in Spyware & Virus Removal
I had a buddy with a real messed up laptop. Tons of spyware and several viruses and a variety of trojans. Its cleaned up but now and I have AVG and their anti virus and anti spyware stuff running.

But.... I have another problem I cant solve. IE wont hit some websites. I can hit microsoft.com, msn.com, google.com etc..

But can not hit yahoo.com or a bunch of others.

I emptied cookies, temp files and cleared the host file. (I had suspected the host file initialy) Then I thought it was something jacked up with IE but... I installed Firefox and its doing the same thing. Any ideas before I scratch this sucker and reload XP? We waste more time with these stupid spyware/malware probs anymore I swear! (rolls eyes...)

Tex

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Is your 'friend' named Mex.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Tex wrote:
    I had a buddy with a real messed up laptop. Tons of spyware and several viruses and a variety of trojans. Its cleaned up but now and I have AVG and their anti virus and anti spyware stuff running.

But.... I have another problem I cant solve. IE wont hit some websites. I can hit microsoft.com, msn.com, google.com etc..

But can not hit yahoo.com or a bunch of others.

I emptied cookies, temp files and cleared the host file. (I had suspected the host file initialy) Then I thought it was something jacked up with IE but... I installed Firefox and its doing the same thing. Any ideas before I scratch this sucker and reload XP? We waste more time with these stupid spyware/malware probs anymore I swear! (rolls eyes...)

Tex

You need to call your ISP and request access to the next level of internet service.

o wait that's 4 years from now
  • edited July 2008
    Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Hello and welcome to the forums

My name is Katana and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please observe these rules while we work:
    1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
    2. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
    3. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"
    (Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

If you can do those three things, everything should go smoothly :D

Please Note, your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use.
    Be assured, any links I give are safe

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
      • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
      • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
      • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Click here to download HJTinstall.exe
    • Save HJTinstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTinstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Hijack This.
    • Click I accept
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    • Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Installed Programs

Please could you give me a list of the programs that are installed.
    • Start HijackThis
    • Click on the Misc Tools button
    • Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.

You will see a list with the programs installed in your computer.
    Click on save list button and specify where you would like to save this file.
    When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.
    Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad into your next post.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2008
    I fixed Friday finally! Sorry I should of came back in and closed this. Another fellow had posted a similiar story as he could only get onto some sites in IE and I came back to tell him what I had done but found this forum didnt allow that anymore.

Sorry for not posting here and closing this one!