STOP 0x7B after CD repair

edited July 2008 in Hardware
This is about my friend's computer and I have to fix it tomorrow. I was searching everywhere on the Internet to find a definite solution, but couldn't find any. The problem may result from drivers, boot sector viruses etc. Here's what happened: A few days ago his computer became unresponsive: upon turning on Windows XP Pro would start normally and the startup screen with blue lights running would display normally for 10-15 seconds, but it would then go black and restart before getting to the Welcome screen. I used WinXP CD recovery console to find C:\Windows\tmp94535.bat (not sure about the numbers). It was created on the day computer crashed and it contained instructions to delete svchost.ex_, lsass.ex_, winlogon.ex_, services.ex_, explorer.ex_ and something called %0 (zero, not O). I renamed it. I went through system32 and found an EXE whose name contained, I think, 12-16 garbled lowercase characters and numbers. It was about 33 KB big if I recall correctly. I renamed it, too. I tried to expand the files from CD, but it didn't work (the computer would start up to a black screen with a WGA notice in the bottom right and then restart. Afterwards I tried repairing the installation. I had something important to do so I left my friend to look for the product key and click Next. A few hours later he phoned me and said some COM+ setup error had occured but he pressed OK and that the computer now starts up with a BSOD:

STOP 0x7B (F7C4AB08, C0000034, 00000000, 00000000)

Edit: I want to keep the information if it's possible. If it's a boot sector virus, would installing Windows on the second hard disk (not partition) allow computer to operate normally at least until the data can be backed up?