laptop troubles - need knowledgeable person to help

edited July 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

I have an hp4000 laptop. Whe I push the power button the ONLY thing that happens is the light beside the power button lights up and the light on front of the laptop lights up. There is no harddrive light, no boot, video, nothing. Virtually, the laptop is "dead" with just 2 power lights illuminated. The only thing I tried was a Power Drain. Can someone please steer me in the right direction on troubleshooting this laptop?

All The Best,
compgeek

Comments

• ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    have you ever opened up a laptop before? how long have you had the laptop? perhaps its still under warranty and you can have it serviced for free. thats what i did with another laptop of mine i called the number on the back 2 years after i bought it and i didn't know it had 3 year coverage. they practically gave me a new laptop! try looking under the laptop for a number, tell them about your problem. if not, you can always remove the hard drive extract the data before sending it. i hope this helps.

with your problem however, i sense that memory is the issue. many laptops are picky about the memory that is installed and therefore sometimes the memory goes bad after periods of long use and heat. taking out the memory and reseating it has helped me in the past with a problem such as yours. try both sticks one at a time in each bank. i would reset the cmos by pulling out the battery on the mainboard or loading the defaults, once i do get it to boot.

i hope this helps.

-isi
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    This also sometimes happens if your laptop goes into suspended mode and doesn't come out of it correctly. If that's the case you can usually get around it by removing the battery and then pressing and holding the power button for about 20 seconds. Then let go of the power button and try turning it on again, still with the battery removed.