Toshiba Satellite laptop wont turn on

edited July 2008 in Hardware
Over the past few weeks weird things have been happening to this laptop.

Some of them include I cant use any programs for the first three minutes of turning it on (I cant use the startbar its frozen), randomly it will get really hot and I will have to turn it off for about 20 minutes, and sometimes when I turn it on it says things like there is a hardware error and I have to sit here for ten minutes trying to turn it on by choosing last known good config or try to go into safe mode and have the restore fail.

But those problems are for later.

Today I was watching a movie I recently bought and I noticed it was over heating so I put it on my desk and went to plug my usb mouse in and noticed that it wasnt working. So I tried to use the touchpad but that didn't work. Soon enough I found out that it was frozen so I had to unplug in and take out the battery (I would have held the power button but its broken and its impossible to tell if you are pressing it right).

So then I let it sit for a little bit to cool down and I take my RAM chips and my harddrive out. After it cools I put everything back in and then I proceed to turn it on.

But this is where the problem starts, it just goes Beep, Beep, Beep, Buzzzz. So three slow beeps then it fails.

So I was like maybe I didnt put every thing in right, so I take it all out and put it back in.

But now it goes Beep, Beep Beep Beep, Beep, Buzzz. And this one is one beep three fast beeps then one last one and it fails.

I have no Idea why this is happening.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S169. It has Windows XP SP2 or SP3 but I dont remember upgrading to SP3 so I assume its SP2. I have no idea what the hardware is, but I assume it is the stock parts and can be found by just looking what the stock parts are.

Please try to help asap. And this is a different Toshiba laptop if you couldn't figure that out :p

-Zxeo

Oh and this is my frist post, but I have been lurking here for over a year and finally needed help.

Er I somehow fixed it XD

But now I have a new problem its the one listed above.

It turns on like normal but when you see the splash screen the bar moving across the screen it freezes after a while.

Then I have to take the battery out and I try to turn it on again then it comes up with the black screen that says "Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt and so on....."

When I try to go into safemode and use system restore it says failed.

It takes about 6-7 times or something of trying to find what is the right one to choose between last known config or start normaly.

But they both usually fail but sometimes it works.

Once again please help.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    After looking up your specs on the Toshiba web site, I found the following (only listing what is relevant to speed issues):
    CPU: Celeron M 380 (1.6GHz, 1MB Cache)
    RAM: 512MB DDR-333
    Graphics: Mobility Radeon X200M
    OS: WinXP Home/Pro (doesn't specify which service pack)

I see a few potential reasons for the slow response:
    1. The amount of RAM in your laptop, barring any upgrades, is insufficient when coupled with your graphics. Your graphics card uses anywhere from 8-128MB of your system's RAM (this is likely set in the BIOS). This will subtract from the amount of RAM available to Windows. Assuming the full 128MB is allocated to the video card, you are left with 384MB for Windows which is not enough for a decent response time. The solution here is to buy memory for your laptop. You have one available slot for a total of 1.25GB RAM.

2. What programs/tasks run on startup? You may want to take a look at this. Windows has a built-in utility called msconfig that can be used to enable/disable programs that load themselves when Windows starts. If you want a more advanced utility I would recommend Sysinternals Autoruns (a free program).

3. When was the last time a virus/spyware check was run?

4. The catch-all for Windows' erratic behavior (and eliminating software as the culprit) is to back up your data and reinstall Windows.

As for freezing at the boot screen and failing system restore, you may have corrupted drivers or system files. While these can be fixed without wiping your system and reinstalling Windows, it's not usually worth the effort.

This doesn't sound like a hardware failure problem, so please try the above solutions and post the results.

Hope this helps!
  • edited July 2008
    After looking up your specs on the Toshiba web site, I found the following (only listing what is relevant to speed issues):
    CPU: Celeron M 380 (1.6GHz, 1MB Cache)
    RAM: 512MB DDR-333
    Graphics: Mobility Radeon X200M
    OS: WinXP Home/Pro (doesn't specify which service pack)

I see a few potential reasons for the slow response:
    1. The amount of RAM in your laptop, barring any upgrades, is insufficient when coupled with your graphics. Your graphics card uses anywhere from 8-128MB of your system's RAM (this is likely set in the BIOS). This will subtract from the amount of RAM available to Windows. Assuming the full 128MB is allocated to the video card, you are left with 384MB for Windows which is not enough for a decent response time. The solution here is to buy memory for your laptop. You have one available slot for a total of 1.25GB RAM.

I actually have two RAM chips in my laptop because I took one from my old computer. So I have 960 MB of RAM.
    2. What programs/tasks run on startup? You may want to take a look at this. Windows has a built-in utility called msconfig that can be used to enable/disable programs that load themselves when Windows starts. If you want a more advanced utility I would recommend Sysinternals Autoruns (a free program).

I have nothing starting up. I got that program but it was way to confusing XD And I dont want to mess anything up.
    3. When was the last time a virus/spyware check was run?

Recently just a couple of days ago.
    4. The catch-all for Windows' erratic behavior (and eliminating software as the culprit) is to back up your data and reinstall Windows.

As for freezing at the boot screen and failing system restore, you may have corrupted drivers or system files. While these can be fixed without wiping your system and reinstalling Windows, it's not usually worth the effort.

This doesn't sound like a hardware failure problem, so please try the above solutions and post the results.

Hope this helps!

Ok thanks. Sorry it took so long for me to respond but the computer I was using became unavailable to me. But now I can post again. And I fixed this computer, somehow......