Strange internet connection, very unstable!

helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
edited July 2008 in Internet & Media
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hi, I'm not sure this is the right forum for my problem but I've already tried Spyware & Virus Removal and they found nothing as you can see here. The moderator there recommended this forum. Anyway, for the last 6 days my internet connection (ADSL, download speed - 2048 kbit/s, upload speed 256kbit/s) has been behaving really strange. I can connect and surf with no problems, although a little slower than before, but when I try to download a program or an update it's just very unstable. The average download speed should be around 230kB/sec (as it was before the problem) and not fluctuate, but now it starts at 170 then slowly drops to 120, 80, 50 and even below 20kB/sec. Then it rises again etc. I contacted my ISP and they say they've checked the network twice and everything's working fine and that maybe I should check for viruses etc. So, I scanned with AVG, Comodo Firewall and Spybot and nothing. It's never happened before. The average speed before was 115, 116kB/sec but the ISP recently increased it (as of July 1st). It worked fine in the beginning so I don't get it. Can you help? Thanks.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    What is it that your downloading? If they are torrents your ISP could be throttling them. Who's your ISP?
  • helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
    edited July 2008
    No, they're not torrents. It's practically everything from downloading any type of program from, let's say Filehippo, to downloading a comic book preview the size of a couple of MB from another website. The speed at Filehippo goes from 15 or lower to 40, 50kB/sec and down again. It varies for different websites. The speed used to be a stable 115, 116, 117kB/sec, and when the ISP (HT Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina) increased the speed it was around 230kB/sec. It never dropped so much and then went back up again.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Troubleshooting Internet connection speeds is notoriously difficult and usually results in back-and-forth with your ISP. Check out http://speedtest.net and http://speakeasy.net/speedtest to see if it's your overall connection or just the sites you're trying to get to. (Thanks @ Kwitko and Snarkasm for the links)
    edited July 2008
    Hi, I tested it on both a couple of times. One time it showed around 1700kb/s for download and 160 for upload. I tested it on a closer tester in Zagreb a couple of times also and sometimes it's 1330kb/s - 130kb/s, and the next time its 1094kb/s - 90kb/s. So, its all over the place. No clue. Maybe its the ADSL router?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    Ugh, DSL. DSL is notorious for being a pain if there is ANY noise on the line. An unclean line is like...Fouled points. They may work sometimes, but if you don't get in there and clear them up, you're gonna have nothing but trouble.

Call your ISP and ask them to test the line. Then we can work from there.
    edited July 2008
    Did that the first time I noticed the problem. They say the lines work perfectly well. They apparently tested it twice.
    edited July 2008
    Ok, have you power cycled the modem? Unplug it for about ten minutes, then plug it back in. Might help since I have to do that to my cable modem every so often.
    edited July 2008
    I unplugged it for ten minutes. Nothing. First I went to filehippo.com and tried to download Ad-Aware (size around 18MB) and the speed went from 4.1kB/sec at the start to 20.5 then down again. It was the same at download.com but at pcworld.com the speed started at around 160, then dropped to 140, 120, climbed to 170 then 100 and so on. :confused::mad: Consider that I'm paying for 2048kbit/s - 256kbit/s package.
    edited July 2008
    Hmm. I propose a test. Download four more things from PC world, and post your average speed.
    edited July 2008
    For the first three downloads (randomly Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spywareguard) the speed was around 200, 210, 190kB/sec, but for the third (Webshots) it was around 130kB/sec.
    edited July 2008
    Ok, now pick two up from the two slower places. Post average speeds.
    edited July 2008
    At Filehippo (Ad-Aware) the average was 50kB/sec but it went up to 95 at one point but it also dropped to 35. At Download.com (Spybot) the average was 20, going up to 35 and dropping to 15. But it was constantly going up and down. It never did that before.
    edited July 2008
    It might be a routing complication. If it's website dependant then you may just be getting bad paths. Turn off your modem, and router if applicable and run "route -f" and restart the computer. That might fix it.
    edited July 2008
    Could you explain, in little more detail, how to do those things? I don't wanna mess something up. Thanks.
    edited July 2008
    You just run cmd, and type "route -f" into the box, hit enter and count to five, then restart your computer. Just when you do this, turn off your modem and router if applicable.

Nothing to it.
    edited July 2008
    route -f not recognized as executable or batch file. That's what it says.
    :banghead::scratch:
    edited July 2008
    If you're using XP, type route clear in the CMD box.
    edited July 2008
    Didn't work unfortunately. The speed still goes up and down way too much.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Honestly, I think it's just the vagaries of a DSL connection. Sometimes it rocks, sometimes it sucks. "What it always did before" doesn't mean much, unfortunately.
    edited July 2008
    And here I was hoping it was a few bad routes. Darn.