Dell 15" lcd monitor doesn't light up.

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Someone just gave me an old Dell 15" LCD monitor that doesn't light up. It's date coded June 2005. Model # E153FPb.

I plugged it into my laptop computer, and when the computer turns on, the monitor's light goes green and stays green, but there is no image at all on the monitor.

NOTHING.

No flickers, no fuzzy lines, no anything at all.

Since I got it for free, I thought I'd take it apart and see if it could be fixed. I sure would like to use it instead of lifting a big old 17" CRT onto my computer table every time I get a computer to work on.

Any ideas what the likely problems would be? I was thinking of a backlight, but I read there's a fuse in there too. Links to pages with repair information?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    if you don't see any image at all, then it's not the backlight. Even without the backlight you would still see something of the image.

Why was it free? was it working for the previous owner?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, the previous owner said it was working and then one day it "went dark", and that was it, no more picture on it ever again.

They went and got an Acer LCD after that and they are using it now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    She's dead, Jim.
    edited July 2008
    I took the monitor apart tonight and looked at the circuit boards. The fuse tested good, and I didn't see any blown capacitors or burned parts or anything that showed an obvious problem.

I wonder what the problem is.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Did you peak inside the transformer? Verify that the panel itself was good?
    edited July 2008
    Uh, no. Didn't have a way to test those things.