Compaq Presario V5000 problem

edited July 2008 in Hardware
First off I'm going to present my problem. I have a Compaq Presario V5000 laptop that is not even 2 years old and is hardly ever used. A few months ago, I was about to use it and I had managed to tip it forward accidentally before turning it on. Well, when I tried to turn it on I received the beep code series 1-3-4-3. I looked it up and had different answers to what the problem was. It either was a) Test 512K base memory. or b) RAM Failure on data bits xxxx of low byte of memory bus. I've googled these two things many times over and every website I have been to has said to replace the RAM. So, I went out and bought a brand new 1GB stick of RAM and placed it in my laptop. Of course, I had no luck. I still got the same beep code 1-3-4-3. I don't know what else to do except to think that the slots have gone bad? Any idea what else I can do to figure out what is going on with my laptop?

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    if you are comfortable taking it apart, take out all components that are not needed to get into the bios (e.g. hdd, dvd-rom, wireless card, modem etc.) all you should have hooked up in the end are the essentials.

good luck, and let me know what you come up with.

edit: if it does get into bios, then put parts back in one by one, and if adding one causes the same problem then im sure you know what im getting at.
  • edited July 2008
    I took apart the laptop and nothing seemed to be wrong so I put it all back together. Once it was together I turned it on and it's magically working again. It went straight into the BIOS and I had to set everything back to normal. I hope this doesn't happen again cause taking it apart wasn't just a piece of cake.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    Might've gotten a loose connection somewhere in it. Lucky you.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    yea you got lucky, glad to hear it. sometimes things just need to be re-seated.