Getting the right HardDrive

edited July 2008 in Hardware
I'm planning of getting a Hard-Drive for my brother since he has only a 40GB on his PC... his mainboard is a FOXCONN NF4K8AB-RS

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000048

i just need pointer on what type of HDD can i get him? i'm going to get either a 250 or 320 or 500GB..

this board supports SATA but there's SATA and SATA II and in SATA there's SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0

any suggestion or elightment is muchly appreciated

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    SATA-II is the newest spec and should be what you get. Backwards compatible.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    personally, i would go with the 320. its a pretty mid range HDD and im pretty sure if you get a 3.0Gb/s drive, you can set the jumpers to limit it down to 1.5Gb/s for older mobos. also, once you get this new one use a program called "Ghost" and you can essentially make an EXACT copy of the 40GB to the new drive and then format the 40. nothing will change except you just added 280GB worth of storage to his C: drive.

somebody needs to confirm the jumper thing though, im pretty sure you can do that however im not 100% sure.
  • edited July 2008
    cheers guys :)