Anyone an ipod guru?

edited July 2008 in Internet & Media
Hi, I normally stick to the travian side, but one of our colleagues on there asked if anyone could help him with an ipod issue. Below is his post on an apple forum where nobody has given him an answer.

He is doing interval training (e.g. 60 second runs, 60 second walks) and is trying to get audible markers beeps or whatever at specific time intervals

"I apologise if this has been done, however . . . searching for the evening has thrown up nothing.

I am trying to find a way to insert "Timing Markers" into a playlist or to ideally have it running separately to the playlist to allow tracks to be skipped / forwarded / restarted as normal. For example I'm currently running intervals and I have to keep glancing at either my watch or iPod to see when the next interval starts.

It would be much easier if I could have an audible signal at predetermined time intervals to tell me to speed up / slow down as appropriate, the only idea have had so far is to record silence with audible markers at the desired time intervals for a 45 minute session then merge it with a playlist and play it back as a single file, this obviously means I won't be able to vary what I am listenng to and still maintain my intervals accurately.

I apologise if ths is a little confused.

Can anyone give me any pointers? "

Thanks, in advance, for any help

SV :)

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    No way it can be done unless you just use 60-second long tracks with beeps in them.
  • edited July 2008
    No way it can be done unless you just use 60-second long tracks with beeps in them.

Thanks matey... I know nothing about them, but knew I would get a definitive answer for him here :cool:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I would just go in Garage Band (Assuming he has a Mac), make a five minute file and just have it play a noise at time markers. Upload it to your iPod, and it will play at the time intervals.

The drawback is, the iPod will have to play this track with the noises, so it can't play music at the same time.

The other thing I would tell him to maybe try is a wristwatch, it's easier to keep time with. Turn it so the watch face is on the inside of your wrist--as opposed to the back of your hand--it will be easier to keep a consistent motion.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You can make multiple alarms, can't you? Any chance you can make enough of them to cover what he's trying to do?

(I don't know, just a thought.)
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I agree with Nomad on this one. A watch, with the face on the inside of your wrist, is the way to go for interval workouts. Took me years to get rid of the tan line on my wrist after running cross country and track throughout middle and high school.