BSOD in recovery console

edited July 2008 in Hardware
So everytime I start my computer i get the "Following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system" error. So I use a windows xp setup disc to get to the recovery console, and when I get to the console it asks me which windows installation I want to log onto. So I press 1 for c:\windows and BAM BSOD for me. The error reads Stop: 0x00000057(0x00000001,0xE1QD1A38,0x00514000,0x000001D6). If anyone has any work arounds for this that would be great. (by the way I'm using a dell reinstallation xp disc for a non dell computer. I'm not sure if that causes the BSOD but right now that disc is the only one I can find to get to the recovery console.) Thanks for your time.

P.S I'm not very good with computers.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    //admin edit: don't be rude.

That's why it's bluescreening. That's an OEM disc, looking for an OEM bios. Get a real XP disc.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    @ daddy, thats not true at all. oem discs dont look for an "oem" bios. im running oem OS's on all my current custom built computers with no problems.

first off, you're trying to go into recovery too early. you need to proceed a couple screens further to begin the automatated repair load.

put in the disc, and go beyond the recovery console. continue through that by pressing enter, it will then pop up saying "searching for existing installations of windows". this is the point at which you begin the recovery. IF it detects any installations that are repairable, or any installation at all it will list these in the box prior to taking you to the partition screen.

once you find the listing of windows xp, follow the prompts on the screen. i believe you press "r" when that installation is selected and it begins the repair. if you want pictures i can take some pictures to be more clear.