Vista won't uninstall AVG 8 free

MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hi again!
The rig: Pent. 3.0 gig, 1 gig ram, Vista home, all basic out-of-the-box Wal-Mart E-machine. AVG 8 trial expired.
Currently has no antivirus software!
I want to upgrade my daughters e-machine to Kaspersky, which I've already paid for and downloaded to her Vista based system. I uninstalled AVG 8 but the Kaspersky installer says it is still there when it unpacks and shows it in a window to remove. It does NOT show in the list of
progs in add/remove. I searched and manually deleted all vestiges of AVG 8 I could find, folders, bitmap logos, etc. but Kaspersky still says it is there and will not install. I have re-booted after uninstall, ran 'search' of all hidden and everything else I can think of. Is it time for a registry edit/hack? How do you do that with Vista?
Thanks for any ideas!
MGK

Comments

• MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited August 2008
    I figured out how to get 'er done. I have no experience w/Vista...
    Once I blindly navigated my way to 'run', I ran msconfig and edited/removed the AVG folder from the chain and PRESTO!
    Kaspersky is loading as I type.
    Thanks anyway!
    MGK

You can move to resolved now!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Glad it worked for you and nice to see you online. ;)

I had a similar issue upgrading my AVG the other day. I uninstalled and did all that but when it came time to reinstall it said I couldn't. Finally had to regedit and remove AVG through there.