EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2; $289. Good Deal?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Hardware
It's showing that it's $340 off the regular price. This would be an upgrade from my G92 8800GTS.

I need a new video card like I need a kick in the junk, but for less than half price, it's really tempting. Is it worth going to one of these over the GTX260 or 280? Or are they that much slower?

I've got a 750W Corsair PSU and a Q9450, so there shouldn't be any bottleneck anywhere. I do a lot of FPS, so more speed is always a good thing.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    $289 is a pretty good deal for the GX2, but it is hardly $340 off current selling price. Maybe $340 off the price on launch day. So I'd say don't rush to grab it at that price, do some homework and see if it's the card for you. In games where SLi is well utilized the 9800GX2 can perform as well as the GTX 280.

:cheers:
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    buy a 4870, its the same price with better performance!
    edited August 2008
    buy a 4870, its the same price with better performance!

Any game that is well optimized for SLi will see the GX2 obliterate the 4870 and the two are close enough in most titles that it really just comes down to what games you want to play. If one were choosing between these two and power consumption and size are not an issue I'd suggest much reading.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    The GX2 will pretty much slaughter the 4870 in any game worth its weight.
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    The GX2 will pretty much slaughter the 4870 in any game worth its weight.

no, not really.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-5083-view-HD-4870-vs-9800-GX2-benchmark.html

imageview.php?image=13262

crysis is optimized for nvidia SLI, correct?
    edited August 2008
    no, not really.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-5083-view-HD-4870-vs-9800-GX2-benchmark.html

crysis is optimized for nvidia SLI, correct?

That info circulated in early May (well before 4870 launch) and is completely bogus.

Look here, here, here, and pretty much anywhere else that actually had the cards when they made their graphs.

In fact after revisiting reviews and refreshing my memory of GX2 performance I'd like to retract my statement of them being even close in more than a handful of titles.
    edited August 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    That info circulated in early May (well before 4870 launch) and is completely bogus.

Look here, here, here, and pretty much anywhere else that actually had the cards when they made their graphs.

In fact after revisiting reviews and refreshing my memory of GX2 performance I'd like to retract my statement of them being even close in more than a handful of titles.
    i'm outdated :p. so basically, it completely depends on what titles you're going to be playing? which i suppose would make sense.

time to research..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    The GX2 is superior in any game that's not CPU-limited.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    my 8800gts does well enough for what I'm playing now, but was also looking at it from a F@H GPU performance. I've seen lots of reports of people getting 10,000PPD per day from the GX2's, I'm just a bit worried about what it's going to do to my power bill.