Annoying arguement, are Sony Viao laptops optimised for sony software?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

Ive been arguing with my dad about computers. He seems to think that a Sony Viao laptop would be optimised to run Sony software and would run Sony software better than a built computer or another manufacturer like dell or HP of similar value
So, for example, you buy a Sony Viao laptop preloaded with software like Sony Vegas. It cost around £1200 so its a pretty good laptop 2.6ghz dual core, 3gb ram and good graphics.

Now for the same price you could have a full tower, with 4gb ddr2 1066mhz, quad core , and sli/crossfire with a velociraptor and plenty of storage.

he says "the Sony laptop would run Sony software better than a normal computer ie no compatibilty issues"
He also asks "Is a sony computer optimised to run sony software quicker than any other pc"

I say its not, but he disagrees and wants a seperate opinion.

Who is right?

Cheers.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    PC hardware is PC hardware. There's nothing Sony can do to Windows (or the hardware) to make it run Sony software better. Laptops these days are carbon copies with differing shells. The only thing that matters is drivers and patches, which anyone can get for any laptop.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Short answer: your dad is wrong.

The ONLY scenario I can imagine a sony laptop running anything "better" (let's call it "faster" - better is a very nebulous term) is if the laptop in question is one of the new Vaios with an actual Cell CPU onboard (the Sony 8-core vector beast that powers the PS3), which I seriously doubt we're talking about here.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    And that would only help on 2-3 pieces of software in the world at the moment.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up, my dad now understands and believes me :)

Cheers :D