Change ACPI?

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Supposing I wanted to change from ACPI to Standard Computer on a system that's up and running. Could I just change this in Device Manager>>>Computer and reboot?

Or is this a bad idea?

Prof

PS: We need more input under the Short-Media Recommended Utilities thread in General Software!:nudge:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    verrah bad.. That one driver is actually the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and you can't change it without reinstalling winders.

There WAS a way to do it in NT4, but I would highly suggest not trying it in 2K or XP.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, I'm really not in the mood to reload anything right at this time.

Is the general feeling that ACPI is OK, or to be avoided when doing a new install?

Prof
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    For general use and for stability, use ACPI in both 2k and XP. (Its default) For tweakers, disable ACPI (F5 during windows setup and choose the Uniprocessor HAL) and use APIC 1.4 in the bios if you have it. That enables all the IRQ´s so that all your peripherals have their own IRQ. Not always stable though, you need to fiddle with the latencys of all peripherals to get it stable.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Don't know if correct but when I tired APIC with MPS Uniprocessor HAL, I still got ACPI and get like 24 IRQ's.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If APIC is on in your BIOS by default, windows installs that HAL.

You can go from ACPI to any other HAL (especially standard), but not back.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I am looking to do a major upgrade to my system in about 3 months (see my sig and you'll know why).

I think I'm going to mess around with it then. I have had the well-documented SBLive! "crackling" problem. Non-existant under 98se, horrible with Win2K, and very minor under XPpro. Frankly, I can't decide whether to blame Via, Creative, or both.

Needless to say, my new system will contain neither.:p

Prof
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    Don't know if correct but when I tired APIC with MPS Uniprocessor HAL, I still got ACPI and get like 24 IRQ's.

You must disable APCI and enable APIC and then choose the uniprocessor hal to get the 128 IRQ's taht do not share. With APIC and ACPI enabled you the ACPI hal with apic sorta blended and you get 24 irq's but they still share IRQ's at times.

You also will probably share IRQ's with the standard PC HAL unless you run a very bare system.

How stable you are with APIC and not acpi is directly related to your bios and how well implemeted the APIC is.

My KR7 was always a little flaky. My two servers and my ECS boards are rock solid.

Tex
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk
    has a ECS :D
    Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    has a ECS :D