dvd/wmp

edited August 2008 in Internet & Media
Hello, all. Windows media player began skipping while playing dvds. It no longer will play them normally at all. It is like it is playing them in halftime, and every second is equal to about 1.5-2 realtime seconds. Does anyone know why? My first though was that something is slowing my computer down, but HP dvd player works fine and my CPU is running cold at not more than 10% total usage. As well I have not noticed anything else that is causing any abnormal behavior, and google searches turn up nothing. any help would be really appreciated!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Go to your Windows device manager and remove all the devices in the section I have squared off on the attached picture. Reboot your PC and all should be well.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, it was a nice thought but it doesn't work. I need my IDE channels and all the controllers. Another thing I have noticed is when I am running a process that requires a lot of CPU i cannot play music using wmp either...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    When you remove it, it gets reinstalled at reboot. Maybe settings or drivers got borked and it needs to be reinstalled.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    DAEmonBane wrote:
    Well, it was a nice thought but it doesn't work..

It's a nice thought and works just fine. I wouldn't tell you to remove them if I didn't know it had a strong shot at fixing your problem.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited August 2008
    DAEmonBane wrote:
    Hello, all. Windows media player began skipping while playing dvds. It no longer will play them normally at all. It is like it is playing them in halftime, and every second is equal to about 1.5-2 realtime seconds. Does anyone know why? My first though was that something is slowing my computer down, but HP dvd player works fine and my CPU is running cold at not more than 10% total usage. As well I have not noticed anything else that is causing any abnormal behavior, and google searches turn up nothing. any help would be really appreciated!
    Internal or external DVD? Also, what version of WMP? Anything happen just before the skipping?
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    It's a nice thought and works just fine. I wouldn't tell you to remove them if I didn't know it had a strong shot at fixing your problem.

Yea, sorry, that came across wrong. I understand why it should work... I meant to say it didn't fix my problem:wink:
  • edited August 2008
    Internal or external DVD? Also, what version of WMP? Anything happen just before the skipping?

Internal drive, wmp 11 (11.0.5721.5230), and it just started the other day. It skips whenever I try to play a dvd, even if I have shut down every other process. It also skips if I try to play music while running extra processes like dvd fab5. Ripping and burning dvds and cds takes longer now too, so i thought it might be the drive... but this might be only paranoia seeing as i have a history of trashing dvd drives