Component to VGA.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited September 2008 in Hardware
I'm sick of my SD tv, and I'm gonna put a ballbat through it since I can't get it to degauss.

I want to put my PS3 on a monitor. Unfortunately all I've got handy is a CRT and I'm not buying one of those converter boxes that converts Compsite to VGA because they're friggin' stupid expensive, since I'm using component, I should be able to go color-to-color VGA, right? I know with S-video I have to provide a sync frequency, will I have to provide that sync frequency, or will I be able to get 1-1 input?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Been googling for awhile and all I've read is that it can't be done.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    Goddammit.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    edited August 2008
    Note: This adapter will not work for connecting Computers VGA outputs to Component Video sources, neither Component Video sources to Computer LCD displays.

That's what I need it to do.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thats funny cause all the component to vga cables I have used worked, you have a resolution/contrast problem some times with text being almost completely unreadable.
    edited August 2008
    You going from a PS3 to a CRT monitor?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I was going from a laptop vga to a large TV, so if the CRT will do a decent rez setting you should have no problems except maybe the screen resizing because the CRT is going to have enough lines for good contrast and resolution. Although now that I think about this I had a lady I sold a cable or two to and she called back complaining that it wasn't working, translation cable to get a 36 to a different video out....so I would still say buy the cable you can get them really cheap.

Check here.
    edited August 2008
    I'm going BACKWARDS. Component signal to VGA. It's fine to go from VGA to Component because my video card does that with a plug. I'm not so sure about the PS3 without some godammed box. I'm trying to avoid a 300 dollar project as I've already got a 152 dollar project already in the works.
    edited August 2008
    i did a google search for "ps3 vga cable" and found this. that kit seems to have everything you need in one package, and for a damn good price if i say so myself.

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/ps3wii-vga-cable-p-746.html
    edited August 2008
    Awesome Bull, thanks alot. Saved me alot of time too, I was about to look up the schematics of one of those breakout boxes.
    edited August 2008
    no problemo, hope it does what it says it does. :p
    edited August 2008
    Looks like it should, goes from PS3 Multi-out to VGA.
    edited August 2008
    yep, i dont see why it wouldn't. i'm glad somebody finally got smart enough to sell every cable you need to do that kind of thing in a kit, freakin awesome.
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited September 2008
    Hey, if there is a Fry's locally they have the cables that will work, i got them for about $25... and yes they work great... Or if you have DVI input on your monitor, use a HDMI to DVI cable as long as it supports 1280x720 or 1920x1080, most widescreens do.