View hda1/hdb1 with Nautilus.. ehh..

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited December 2003 in Science & Tech
Last time I screwed around with Linux, I didn't need some special viewer to look at /dev/hda1 or /dev/hdb2 (the linux partition). When I try to go to either, I get an error that Nautilus doesn't have a viewer installed to display this. The reason I'm asking is that, one, I had drivers on hda1 that I wanted to install (nForce drivers and ATi drivers specifically), that I downloaded before installing. Now, I realize I could just go download the two files if I really needed them, but Redhat did a nice job of detecting everything, so I don't actually NEED them, but it would be nice to be able to look at files on my main HDD, which is formatted with NTFS if it matters (I don't think it should. RH should have support for NTFS)

Edit: And if anyone knows how to get the onboard Ethernet port to work for my motherboard, it'd be appreciated :D

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Are the drives mounted?

If not then try...
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

If it has mounted it then just use a console to navigate the drive and copy the file(s) to your Linux partition.

NS
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    Doesn't it have to mount to boot to linux anyway? I can see hda1 not being mounted, but I get the same messages when trying to browse hdb (My second hard drive). I'll try that though. Thanks.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    No, to boot Linux, it mounts Linux, nothing else (except for boot and swap possibly, depends on your configuration).

NS
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited December 2003
    NS is right, booting only requires mounting the partitions with linux binaries on them. Generally RH won't do something unless you ask it to (generally a good security measure). You can easily have your ntfs partition mounted upon bootup by editing the /etc/fstab file (please read about this before trying!). By default you'll only be able to read from the partition. This is because the NTFS file system is proprietary and Microsoft has not released documentation (and probably never will which is its right). There is a way to get full access using the windows driver while in linux, google for ntfs write access windows dll if you're interested.

To get your onboard port working you should just have to go grab the drivers from the nvidia website. I assume you haven't modified your kernel and are running RH9 default so then you'd want this file: http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm

If you have modified your kernel you'll need to grab the source and compile the support into your kernel. GL and post your success / failure, I haven't installed the NF2 drivers under linux before and I just got 2 NF2 boards so I'm interested in how it will turn out.