The Wii

MathsParMathsPar New
edited September 2008 in Gaming
What is it about it that makes it so appealing to "non-gamers". I've played games since I was 8, I'm 22 now and every console I played my parents said was a waste of time.

Tonight they spent all evening racing each other on Mario Kart on the Wii lol, was brilliant watching them get competitive (at one point my mum used a blue shell when she was in first and my dad snuck past!). Other consoles may have superior graphics and processors and gizmos but Nintendo seem to certainly have cracked the fun for all aspect!

In saying that though my next console purchase will be a PS3, currently have an Xbox360 but when the PS3 price comes down in price I fancy the blu ray.

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I havent touched my Wii in months (no pun intended)

Nothing for it is really appealing for me right now, except perhaps boom blox, but i dont have that yet.

Theres so much trash for it right now, but everything thing good that comes out for it is GOLD
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    MathsPar wrote:
    What is it about it that makes it so appealing to "non-gamers". I've played games since I was 8, I'm 22 now and every console I played my parents said was a waste of time.

Tonight they spent all evening racing each other on Mario Kart on the Wii lol, was brilliant watching them get competitive (at one point my mum used a blue shell when she was in first and my dad snuck past!). Other consoles may have superior graphics and processors and gizmos but Nintendo seem to certainly have cracked the fun for all aspect!

In saying that though my next console purchase will be a PS3, currently have an Xbox360 but when the PS3 price comes down in price I fancy the blu ray.

People don't have to be coordinated or pay attention to buttons.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    People don't have to be coordinated or pay attention to buttons.

Agreed Thrax, My mum loves playing games but every other console has 'too many' buttons for her to grasp. She hasn't played the Wii yet but if she did, she would be hooked!
  • Quantom-XQuantom-X Alexander, Arkansas
    edited September 2008
    MathsPar wrote:
    ....I fancy the blu ray.
    Blue Ray is not worth its price.:hrm:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    The thing about the Wii is that when they get a game right it's an amazing experience to play. When they get a game wrong though you notice how tacked on the controls feel and the poorer graphics. There are very few games in the middle for the Wii.

So when you are playing a games like Boom Blox, Lego Star/Indy, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, Zelda, or Res Evil the Wii feels amazing and it's hard to imagine playing those games on another console. Which is what's great about the Wii.

The downside is that it's just not getting enough hardcore games released for it - fast enough. Or worse still they port a game over hack the hell out of it and blame it on it's lack of hardware which is just laziness on the developers. Yes it doesn't have the graphics guts but that's their only valid excuse. It can deploy the same ammount of content as the xbox360 because it's still using dvds. But I'll stop ranting now.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Kryyst nailed it. Wii needs more hardcore games like RE4, Zelda etc. I'm tired of party games, and ported drivel. I think the motion control intimidates developers.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It pretty much sucks at the moment.