Spare Rigs

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Hi Guys,

I have a spare rig kicking around which Im not to sure what to do with. Im thinking I may set it up as a backgound server and back stuff up, set up a folding client. Another thought was to set up linux on it and try and learn a bit about that OS. I have no linux experience and I am quite interested by it but im not sure what I would use linux for? I am also considering a spot of OCing but i think I will use my main rig for that as it has a better case power supply and memory and would make a more stable platform.

What does everyone else use any spare rigs they have kicking round for?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I think linux would be a great idea. Especially if you jumped into it waist-deep and learned on Gentoo. :)
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    yea, i'd recommend slapping linux in there. you could also have dual nic's and run it as a dedicated firewall/folding/storage/learning pc :p
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I have a spare rig on my desk doing some things that I like to keep off of my main rig for performance and security reasons. It keeps all of my IM and IRC programs running, it runs the server admin proggy for TF2, and runs all of my peer2peer file sharing programs, among other things.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    i've been having similar thoughts about what to do with a faithful older rig. folding and learning a new os sound like good ideas to me. i hate the idea of giving it to a family member to kick around.
    thanks for the idea rich.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2008
    OK so im sold on Linux as I have a spare box to use as a file server and I have a few other ideas. I have been chatting with a guy at work and apparently he uses linux as a media centre... So here is what I am thinking.

Have a file server somewhere hidden out of the way and build a small barebone system to sit in my living room next to the TV. This can look pretty and act as a interface between TV, HI Fi and file Server. Wireless Mouse and keyboard and Robert is your fathers brother!

I have looked a bit at the different distributions and I am game for a challenge but gentoo seems to be more based as a programming environment... still not completely put off but I have no Unix experience and im not sure if my project may be a bit advance for a novice???
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    i think your project is completely manageable for a beginner. linux is much easier than most think, but like any OS it takes getting used to. currently i run Sabayon on one of my secondary computers and hop on there when im bored to learn some of the in's and out's of linux.

thats just what i use, i'm no linux expert so im not really sure what's best for beginners or whether i should even be using Sabayon, but it has free fps games, looks great and does everything but play my high end games :p