arg...a7n8x reading my cpu wrong....

Admiral_AntAdmiral_Ant New york!
edited June 2003 in Hardware
hey, I just finsihed building my new pc, however, my asus a7n8x is reading my xp3000+ as a athlonxp running at 1300mhz
It also wont' let me put the fsb past 200mhz...even though the chip has a 333mhz fsb. *sigh*
anyway, I wanted to flash the bios, but I can't find my board revision # anwhere, can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks guys!

EDIT:: ok update. I found out I was an idiot and I ahd a cable blocking the big letters saying "a7n8x Rev2.0" I updated to teh 1005 bios, and it now reads me as having a xp3000+, and as the ram running as dual channel at 166mhz. Is this correct?
Also, the "cpu externam frequency" is set to 166, the highest option I have is 200. Is this right? I nkow I have a 333mhz fsb xp3000+. Am I misunderstanding soemthing? Is this all well and good?

Thanks again guys!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    My 1800 plus was read as a 1500+ until I changed it to something else.

You should be fine now.
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    Admiral_Ant said
    Also, the "cpu externam frequency" is set to 166, the highest option I have is 200. Is this right? I nkow I have a 333mhz fsb xp3000+. Am I misunderstanding soemthing? Is this all well and good?

Thanks again guys!
    What you are seeing is the true speed of your FSB. The FSB and RAM don't actually run at 333mhz, they run at 166mhz and spend two pieces of information per cycle. If the BIOS is saying you have a 3000+, then everything should be set right.
  • Admiral_AntAdmiral_Ant New york!
    edited June 2003
    great! So when It says that the ram is running at 166mhz..thats its true frequecny, but since its DDR it's really running at 333? Correct?
    Thanks for all teh help guys, and one last question
    I have winXP in and all, but after posting ya know right before the Os laods it says "verfiying DMI pool data"? Well it takes a good 45 seconds to a minute to do that every time I start it...whats up with that?

Thanks again!
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    DMI pool data, the DMI means Desktop Management Interface, it is showen when you have a hardware change, bios setting change, sometimes improper hdd cable connection, not tight enough, that sort of things, and sometimes it;s cause by improper bios settings, check your settings and cable connections.
    edited June 2003
    =/ new prob...
    Okay, as I mentioned I have an asus a7n8x delux mother board. With a xp3000+ cooled by a Thermaltake SLK-800-U HS with article silver 3.....now the bios hardware monitor has average idle temp at about 49C....yet the Asus windows hardware monitor is telling me its about 41C. Which do I trust? 49 jsut doenst seem right, But I always thought the Bios monitor knew best. Any suggestions?
  • edited June 2003
    The A7N8X has both a socket thermistor and also reads the cpu temp diode. The bios is reading the cpu diode and Asus probe reads the socket thermistor, so Asus probe will read lower than the actual core temps. You can use MBM to monitor both temps at the same time; that's what I do.

As far as the 45 second wait during bootup; mine used to do that crap too until I disabled the 1394 firewire stuff in bios as well as the 3com nic port as I don't use anything that uses the firewire interface or need 2 functioning lan connections presently.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I had high temp readings with the 2.0 asus recently, you might want to check a couple of things...

1 - My temps dropped about 10 degrees when I down-flashed the bios from 1005 -> 1004 ... worth checking (remember to keep a backup of your bios settings)

2 - Make sure you dont have too much thermal grease on the heatsink, apply a small amount and spread it thin with a credit card or something like that..

3 - Make sure youve got good airflow in the case, a good test is to take the cover off and let it run (assuming your workspace in general is pretty cool... if not that may be the problem, try cranking your AC) ... if it cools down significantly then youve got a flow problem, clean up the inside of your case and make sure your fans are blowing the right way etc...

hope this helps
    edited June 2003
    hmm, your the second person who mentioned changing the bios...
    the grease and airflow is good. But, it came with version 1003 and it wouldn't recognize my xp3000+, so I'm a bit weary of downgrading because I'm not to sure on how to back the bios up. I couldnt get the backup to work the night I moved up to version 1005... and the help article on asus.com really didn't help...
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    as lame as it might seem, ive had good luck with the asus update utility - flashing from windows xp none the less,

this really steps you through the process, allowing you save your old bios to disk in case of emergency (then you can use the Alt F2 methods if all else fails) and to flash your bios simply... ive had best results so far with the 1004 Uber bios (youll find this in the asus forum at nforcershq.com - along with lots of other bios flashing tips and tricks) ... then just make sure you set your bios as follows - multiplier 13 and fsb 166 = athlon 3000+ and all should be well .... in case of dire emergency theres MANY different solutions in that forum, almost anything you can imagine has been experienced and solved ....