laptop lag problem really bad

halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hay, so if you read the topic title you know my general problem my laptop is VERY slow. I'll give you a little over view I'm on a laptop that has 512 MB of ram and I'm running windows XP service pack 2. (I highly doubt its malware)

OK so i got my laptop back, my dad's friend borrowed it :( and well i started it up and all then when i logged into my account every thing loaded really slow!! Then after everything loaded up explorer.exe closed and rebooted (I mean explorer.exe just closed and reopened).

I have windows live care installed and it has a ram utility that lets me reset my ram... And then after explorer.exe reset i looked at the ram utility it said there was like 112 MB of ram free or around their so i did a "deep clean" then it went up to around 180 or so MB free.

I didn't notice the problem until i opened firefox, it opened really slow so then i hit crtrl+alt+del and look at task manager it said CPU usage was at 100 % and every process that was running was using like 10% so first thought was its a virus :( but then i opened avira process viewer and i looked at the list and nothing their was a virus.

So now i went to safe mode with networking to see if the problem persisted and guess what it did. If i play a youtube video in firefox pc usage sky rockets (since im in safe mode sound drivers are disabled, video still works tho). Well if i do anything cpu usage rockets to 100% but it seems like my ram is almost half full like right before i booted in safe mode, i did a deep clean and opened a folder taskmgr was at 20% and explorer was at like 50% when ram was at 200 MB free