Problems with newly built system

edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hi.

I tried to build a new computer with the following hardwares:
1. AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - OEM
2. ECS GeForce7050M-M (V2.0) AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA Geforce7050PV / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
3. OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8004GK - Retail
4. Thermaltake CPU-Cooler CL-P0444
5. Utra X-connect ATX12V power supply
6. MAxtor 200GB Ultra ATA hard drive
7. A spare SAMSung DVD RW

It seemed to turn on, but nothing came on the screen, and it didn't beep or anything. Only CPU fan was running and HD LED was on. I tried the tip from
http://arstechnica.com/guide/building/troubleshooting.html to make sure everything seated correctly. Still nothing happened. No beep.

I tried to clear MOBO jumper and started the system again, which didn't help.

And the weird thing is that I couldn't turn it off from power button in the front panel. Had to turn it off by unplugging the power cord.

I only pluged the above hardware and nothing seemd to work. I tried to use only 1 2GB memory each time on different slot. It didn't solve the problem.

I was wondering whether my new MOBO was dead on arrival. IS there any way I can check the MOBO itself?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Remove everything from the case. Completely disassemble the system, then run it with the motherboard sitting on a piece of cardboard or wood. If that works, carefully move everything back into the case.

Your power symptoms indicate that the motherboard is shorting out on the case.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't see a video card listed. What did you plug your monitor into?

Also, some motherboards come with a small speaker that you have to manually plug-in (usally around the same area of your front panel connections). I'm not sure if your MB comes with a speaker installed. Otherwise you may not hear any beeps.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2008
    Check to see if there are any jumpers on that board for setting the clock speed or bus rate (I'm to lazy to google it myself). If there are jumpers there are usually 2 options. One option will be to arrange the jumpers for a specific speed the other is to set the jumpers in auto mode and it'll let the bios control it. Again your board may not have these types of jumpers most new mobo's don't, but it's worth a quick check.

Also if your power button isn't turning the system off make sure that the power connector is plugged into the right pins on the mobo, as well as the speakers, led lights etc.. Sometimes that pin block can be tricky.
  • edited August 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. I will take MOBO out of box and test it again when I get home.

The mobo has an integrated On Chip (NVIDIAGeforce7050-based with 2D/3D graphic engine) graphic card. The review is not bad. So I plan to use it.

I might not plug in MOBO's speaker. I will double check it.
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax: Thanks for the suggestion. I moved everything from the case, disassembled the system, run it with the motherboard sitting on its cardboard box. It didn't work. Still same problem.

Dummie: I plugged in the speaker header. No beep after I tried Thrax's suggestion.

kryyst: CLR-CMOS jumper was set to normal. I tried both direction for power connector. Either case I couldn't turn off the system. I knew that pin block was tricky. However, no matter how I adjusted the connectors, I couldn't turn off the system via power button.

I have sent an inquiry to ECS support. If I don't hear anything helpful from them, I will RMA it back to newegg.

Thanks anyway.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Given that it's an ECS, there's a higher than normal chance that it is indeed DOA.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    ECS boards Do have Higher than normal DOA and if you did everything Thrax asked you too and still not working its probaly dead but Try it with only 1 stick of ram in.

IF thats not it then its most likely DOA