reset cmos, disaster follows

edited August 2008 in Hardware
OKay I had trouble getting some DDR400 to run in dual channel mode on my A8N SLI deluxe mobo, couldn't get it to work (I think my DIMM slots are bad A1 and A2).

I read up on it and saw that reseting cmos could fix it. I took out the battery waited 10 mins and now I get the friggin

"Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

Everything was working perfectly fine until I reset the stupid cmos. Would a BIOS flash fix this you think? I tried multiple hard drives, which I know were good and they all gave the I'm trying to figure out how to flash bios on a CD rom at the moment.

On the other hard drives I got the same message. I even tried one off another PC with windows installed and got it too. I really can't lose my data from this crap.

Help please!

thank you

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Check the boot order of your devices and make sure that the hard drive is first. There's pretty much no way a simple BIOS flash can bork a Windows boot. Make sure that your hard drive is first, and all the other devices are disabled.

Also, you can read this thread for some information as to why a hard drive with XP installed on one machine would not work on another. It may save you some time/effort in the future, so I thought I'd make you aware of it.
  • edited August 2008
    Yep HD is first in boot order.

I have no idea what to do, is there any kind of diagnostic to check if my hard drive is done? All I did was reset the cmos and now nothings being recognized. I was running a raid 0 array on where windows is installed. Could it be the raid driver?
  • edited August 2008
    After further investigation, I think it may be the raid drivers

my mobo has 2 raid contollers, nvraid and siliconimage

Orinally I had the array setup using the Nvraid sata controller. On boot up it says my array is "healthy", yet right after that I get the "disk boot failure" message.

With my single storage hard drive, I plugged the sata connecter into the nvraid ports, and got the disk boot error again.

Then I tried it in the silicon image sata ports, and I do not recieve any error.
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    There's pretty much no way a simple BIOS flash can bork a Windows boot.

I had the same thing happen to me after my CMOS battery died. After I replaced the battery I got the same error messages and could not boot into Windows. I've talked to all kinds of tech support about this and no one seems to know why this happens - but it does happen.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2008
    If you were running your system before using RAID you have to make sure that you are trying to use the system now with the exact same RAID configuration in the bios or it won't work. RAID is very particular in how it has to be configured for it to work. Unless you have your RAID controllers setup exactly the same way now after the CMOS reset as you did before your computer won't work.
    edited August 2008
    Indeed. The fact that you have RAID changes the game significantly. You didn't indicate that in your initial post.
  • edited August 2008
    okay I checked the connections, switched them around, and I finally got my raid array to work. On the first boot windows did the checkdisk thing and some files got restored and others removed.

The only problem now is my 1tb backup drive is not being recognized as being formatted =/ Is there any kind of HD restore that I can do to hopefully get my data back?

cheers
    edited August 2008