Diagnosis Mobo ??

SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
edited November 2008 in Hardware
My old X2 3800 system has apparently died, It started with a few random restarts when starting steam games so I check steam and defrags games. It settled down for a few days then started the random shutdowns again.

I ran ccleaners and eusing registry cleaner both found errors. Again a few days later more problems.
MS error reporting said I had ram issues then the next time GFX errors and then HDD errors after the last it will not boot.

system spec X2 3800 939, 1 GB pc 3200, x1900xt, asrock dual sata mobo and ocz gamextreme 600W PSU one optical dvdrw. The PSU is only 6 months old so I think it can be ruled out,my thoughts the mobo is shafted and voltage regulators are sending out bad voltages.

PS used Speed fans HDD health check last week 98% healthy on WDC 80 GB boot drive and 99% health on storage drive. 2 days before fail it was saying only 36% health on the WDC.

any thoughts appreciated :bigggrin:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2008
    Define won't boot. Won't turn on, won't boot windows, crashes at the bios etc....
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited August 2008
    won't boot = no boot, hit power switch zip/nada/nowt not even a beep
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    Pop the side off and hit the power button while looking at your fans. Tell me what they do.
    edited August 2008
    Will do tommorow YAD, I should Add this is just a bounce around I am a Forum Moderator for a PC magazine in the UK. :bigggrin: Just really trying to confirm the diagnosis.
    edited August 2008
    And those guys know more than we do...? I highly doubt those wannabe nerds could outdo anyone on this forum. that's like...an insult! YOU THREW DOWN THE GAUNTLET AND I WILL SEE YOU PICK IT UP! WATERPISTOLS AT TWENTY PACES!
    edited August 2008
    Prime /Thrax/Keebs etc could easily be excellent on our forums :bigggrin:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2008
    Well if it's a UK machine, it's probably just all full of fish and chips.
    edited October 2008
    Finally got back to this old girl all fans spin , fitted a new IDE cable and it boots to the windows Xp desktop for 5 minutes then reboot gets to the desktop for 3 mins reboot so it may be temperature related , either a vrm or cap gets warm and fail todeliver correct voltage or cpu shuts down on overtemp i will reseat the HSF etc and try again :bigggrin:

PS no fish some chips though
    edited October 2008
    What I'd do if you absolutly had to ahve the machine, is set it up in the bottom of a fish tank, and fill it with cooking oil. That'd deal with the heat.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Yup. Sounds like an overheating CPU. I had a similar problem on my work machine recently. All the fans were spinning but it'd overheat. A buzzer would go off when it'd reboot, but if your board has the temp warning turned off in the BIOS, you could be in the exact situation I was in. A new HSF fixed my problem, and the only reason I caught it was because I watched the temp skyrocket in the BIOS.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Bonus: you could actually fry fish AND chips in the cooking oil with the PC.
    edited November 2008
    Bonus: you could actually fry fish AND chips in the cooking oil with the PC.
    Finally had some leave to take, HSF was clogged as was the intake side of the x1900xt HS, much dust and sneezing later it is running but not well I suspect it may have picked up a nasty as it says AVG8 has no active components. i have adaware scanning now I will run through the recommended stuff in the virus malware line and might have to post in the malware forum. :eek3:

PS No oil and no fish'n'chips
    edited November 2008
    Just running Memtest om this rig from an opensuse live session 10,000 odd ram errors in two passes , give's a bit of a hint at nadgered ram :eek:

edit: NEW ram zero fails on memtest , suse live cd runs beautifully , it looks like a nadgered Xp install or malware is the problem.
    edited November 2008
    Triple salko it was missing its gaming mouse hence the jerkiness with other squeakers. :buck: case closed methinks :bigggrin: