How do you properly update Windows XP after a fresh install?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hi there,

Well basically i was wondering how do you actually properly update Windows XP after a fresh install.
What i usually do is goto windows update, it then installs a few updates then asks to install "THE New MICROSOFT update" software.
I install that, then run it several times untill it doesnt update anymore.
Ill then install things like DotNet 3.0 or what ever its called and flash players.
Ohh and i install Graphics card drivers and motherboard drivers etc. i dont bother with onboard sound drivers if they work fine.

Am i doing it wrong, should i install mobo and gfx drivers, then microsoft update?
Should i just use the computer like normal letting it update automatically.

After a fresh install what are the first things i should do?

Thanks

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Its all good the way your doing it, but to be safe i would update XP, then your mobo, then your gfx card, in case one dosent want to work properly with one of the others' drivers.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I have the newest version of all drivers for my PC on hand before I do a reformat, therefore I do it in this order:

1. Chipset.
    2. AHCI/RAID
    3. DirectX
    4. Video
    5. Sound
    6. Other
    7. Windows Update

My disc was customized with SP3, so the amount of Windows updating I do is very minimal.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    right, would it be ok, just to install SP3 strait away after installing drivers or should i let windows do all its other updates first then do sp3.
    edited August 2008
    I would install SP3 first thing, before any drivers, if your Windows disc doesn't have it. It'll save you a ton of time on Windows update.
    edited August 2008
    Ok then, so its basically the latest service pack which will get the majority of updates out the way, then should i run microsoft update till it doesnt want to update anymore or should i let it update automatically.
    edited August 2008
    Run WUAU until it doesn't need anything any more. Best to just get it out of the way.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I just use nLite to integrate all the latest drivers, service packs, and hotfixes. Make a CD from that and install XP. After the install from that disc is done I just use Windows Update to install any additional patches.
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, but what is WUAU?

Windows update automatic? how do i run it, isnt ment to be automatic..?
    edited August 2008
    It's at the top of your start menu, or at the top of "All programs" on the new XP-style start menu.
    edited August 2008
    Ohh so just windows update im guessing. Ok thank you very much. :)