New Case

UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Yo guys,

I'm making an upgrade since my computer took dive for the worst. I've got my parts all picked out and ordered, but I don't think my current Gateway case will be any use to me. I've been searching on newegg and found a lot of good ones.

Questions I have...
Are XIONS recommended towers? Cause I really like their looks.

What is the power supply that comes with them? Does that just power the LEDs?

Or should I just forget about lights and go with a plain case?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I hate LEDs, but then again I also sleep next to my computer. I think LEDs make a case look gaudy.

I go for a case that is cool, quiet, and pleasing to my eyes which usually means simple lines and a minimum of plastic. I also go for all black cases. but it's totally up to you.

The psu included should power all your components but it will fail sooner or later just because they put ****ty power supplies in cases as a rule of thumb. I'd just go ahead and make the investment into a good power supply. It'll be worth it because I've heard stories of power supplies failing and taking motherboards and other components with them.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    The psu included should power all your components but it will fail sooner or later just because they put ****ty power supplies in cases as a rule of thumb. I'd just go ahead and make the investment into a good power supply. It'll be worth it because I've heard stories of power supplies failing and taking motherboards and other components with them.
    That's what happened to my old computer. I already have a new power supply so... yeah.:D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Antec 900 or Antec 600.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Thermaltake Armor, heavy and a full tower. For a plain jane case the CM Centurion or the CM 690
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited September 2008
    Im getting a armour + soon! I love lights and leds, just wish i could turn them off for when i sleep :P
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I have the antec 900 and it's an awesome case. Well built, quiet, and the stock fan lights are pretty dim so they aren't annoying.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    NZXT Tempest is under $120 through the IC Marketplace.
    http://www.nzxt.com/products/tempest/

It's received awesome reviews and is comparable to the Antec cases.
  • edited September 2008
    I'll also talk up the Antec 900. I recently helped a friend build a machine with that case and like has already been said, a damn nice case for the money and it's pretty quiet too.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I still love my Antec P180B and think it's a better case than the 900. Larger, better build quality, no flashy lights or windows, and very quiet. Airflow can be be just as good if you install the optional fan+bracket in the mid-section.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I suggest the Antec 300. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&Tpk=antec%20300

I bought this about a month ago and love it. If you want to spend the extra money then definitely go for the 900 but the 300 does just fine at half the price.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Antec 900. Pretty much what everyone else said. Awesome case, tons of airflow, and it's quiet even with all the fans running.
    edited September 2008
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Im a fan of about everything lianli makes, but i guess im too late to chime in. Good luck with that. But really though, the power supply, good luck with that.
    edited September 2008
    Oh I'm already ahead of that. I already have a new power supply. But i really like the case and it didn't come without that piece of junk.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Oh I'm already ahead of that. I already have a new power supply. But i really like the case and it didn't come without that piece of junk.

Ah, good.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    My brother has that case Weezer, the PSU does suck! Just feel how light it is compared to whatever else you get.
    edited September 2008
    Oh, there's definitely a big difference in the weights.