Xbox 360 question

kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
edited September 2008 in Gaming
So with the price drops on the Xbox 360 I'm not seriously considering getting one. But I'm not sure if I should get the Arcade at $199 or the pro for $299. I know the difference is that the pro comes with the 60gb HDD and can play xbox games. It also comes with the headset. Now with that in mind I have a regular modded xbox, so I don't care about the compatibility. I also have access to a free 20gb harddrive and don't plan on downloading movies (I have a computer that streams media already for that) so I'd only be storing game saves, Arcade downloads and a few ripped audio tracks to use in games (again I stream audio via itunes across my house so not a draw for me).

So which way should I go Arcade or Pro?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    With the pro, you're going to get a wireless controller instead of wired, and the high-def AV pack instead of standard def.

If you're going to be downloading arcade games, you're going to fill that memory card quickly too. Microsoft space stipulations for an arcade game states that it must fit on a 512MB card, but that doesn't mean it has to be tiny. Some of the arcade games are in excess of 150MB. Furthermore, if you download any game add-on content, you're going to want that HDD.

I have a 20GB now on which I only have arcade games and add-on content. I'm desperate for a larger drive, but the 120GB is still ridiculously priced.

My recommendation is to spend the extra $100. In the long run, and possibly even short-term, it'll be worth it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Yes, you'll need the bigger HD. Just in rock band and guitar hero tracks alone, I am using like 10gb of space. Arcade games are getting bigger, better, and more compelling... I'm in the same boat as cyclonite. Want 120gb but no way am I paying that much for 120gb HD.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    So in your opinions the $100 more for the 60gb hdd is worth it over the free 20gb hdd I have? - Just clarifying.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Yes.
    edited September 2008
    Yes.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Depends on how much dowloading you'll be doing. I don't actually download much, so the 20GB drive is fine for me. :/
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the advice I went with the Pro (60gb version). Bought it at Futureshop who has a promo on right now that it came with Gears of War and CoD2 GotY edition. Pretty good start to the game line up.
    edited September 2008
    Definitely! Two of my favorite games.
  • edited September 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Thanks for the advice I went with the Pro (60gb version). Bought it at Futureshop who has a promo on right now that it came with Gears of War and CoD2 GotY edition. Pretty good start to the game line up.

Ftw! Hope you have fun!

I am too considering getting one, but at the moment my precious money if going toward a new rig. So until then I will take advantage and grab me a 360.

And be a Rockband whore.
    edited September 2008
    Just to kind of add to this. My Premium went RRoD the other day. It's in for repair under warranty. I needed one for this weekend and don't know anybody else with one, so I went ahead and bought an Elite. Spent way more than I ever wanted, but it's worth it in the end for the extra stuff. The HDMI is nice for my new TV too.
    edited September 2008
    If you just needed one for the weekend, why not just rent one - but in any event. The Elite is sweet, but I couldn't justify the extra cost of it to myself.

Expanded my games list now with Bioshock and Skate. I played bioshock on my PC for awhile, but never finished it because I find I just don't have as much game time on my computer. So picked it up for $20 used so I get to start enjoying it all over again.

Skate, oldy - but new for me. Got sick of the direction Tony Hawk has been heading since #4 just got more and more insane with the tricks and it lost the pure sense of what makes skating' fun. Skate delivers.
    edited September 2008
    I spent a couple hours trying to hunt down a place to rent the console. Apparently nobody around here rents them anymore.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2008
    Cyclonite wrote:
    I spent a couple hours trying to hunt down a place to rent the console. Apparently nobody around here rents them anymore.

Renting is not cost effective since the price has dropped so much.
    edited September 2008
    RADA wrote:
    Renting is not cost effective since the price has dropped so much.

I'll agree with you there. Even games aren't worth it anymore unless you're using a service like Gamefly.