Cannot connect laptop audio to tv speakers

edited September 2008 in Hardware
I recently bought a new laptop (HP Pavillion dv2000) and have been very pleased with it. However, today I wanted to watch an .avi file on my television and ran into some problems.

I have an S video cable and the display connects perfectly to my television, but I can't seem to make the laptop audio come out of my tv speakers. I bought an audio cable that SHOULD work. I tested it by hooking it up to my regular computer speakers and it worked fine. I tried using the regular computer speakers cable to hook up to the tv speakers, but that didn't work either. So, I know it's not my cable that is the problem. I can hook the audio up to my regular computer speakers, or just let it play form my laptop. I just can't figure out for the life of me why I'm having this problem!? Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some sort of setting I have to change before it will connect the speakers?

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5MM-1-8-HEADPHONE-JACK-RCA-AUDIO-STEREO-CABLE-iPOD-GB_W0QQitemZ290258441357QQihZ019QQcategoryZ88761QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am in no way shape or form attached to that ebay listing, I added it just for reference. That is the cable you need.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    S-Video Does not carry audio, you need to go from your audio out on your laptop (headphone jack or line out) to the Audio in on the TV.

The above cable bullzisnipr showed you is all you need. $1 store usually has them.
  • edited September 2008
    I bought an audio cable of that type from Radio Shack and still no luck :( Any other thoughts?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    try connecting an mp3 player to your tv using that same cable and see if it's getting any sound delivered. Trick is to narrow down to see if it's the laptop, the cable or the tv.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh good idea. I woudln't have thought of that. Well... it looks like the problem is my tv. Should I try unplugging the DVD player connection?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2008
    I think your problem is this.

As previously stated SVideo does not carry audio.

You probably have several inputs on your tv. Scart 1, scart 2, SVideo, phono etc.

Most people who use s video will have a separate AV amp and speaker set up so in that case the audio is not being played by the TV.

What I think you have done is plug the video into the SVideo and the Audio into another output. You can test this by setting it up and playing your file. then scroll through the different inputs you will probably find that the video comes through on one input and the audio comes through on another input.

You can buy a scart converter block which has an SVideo in for the picture and two phono input for the sound. this will then let you plug both into the same scart input on the back of the tv.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    US TVs typically do not have SCART connectors. That's a very European thing. :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It's still a valid point. Any TV that I've ever seen with s-video input is expecting you too send the sound somewhere else.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    Every TV I've seen has S-Video with RCA audio inputs corresponding to that video feed.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2008
    That may be the case but you need to make sure you have it plugged into the right ones. scroll through the inputs to make sure its not a problem with the inputs. if that doesn't work play the video and have that input playing then try an mp3 player on the audio channel.

As for the SCART input... ill let you work out how to merge the audio and video with whatever you guys use in the US. ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Globally-standard jacks like RCA, SPDIF and HDMI. ;)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Every TV I've seen has S-Video with RCA audio inputs corresponding to that video feed.

You're right. I was seeingg (and typing) 's-video' but for some reason by brain was thinking 'VGA'
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Globally-standard jacks like RCA, SPDIF and HDMI. ;)

We have them too. Only they tend to be used primaraly for audio. for some reason TV manufacturers love putting three scarts on the back some phono plugs on the front and an s-video wherever they can fit it.

I think the assumption is that people who are bothered about using spdif and component RCA will have separate audio equipment and that scart is easier for people who cant be bothered.

To be honest unless you have a state of the art TV the cable quality is pretty errelevant as you tv wont be able to give a good enough picture to display the difference (I exclude comparing High Def and Starndard there coz the cable will make a big dif) Am I right in saying the recomendation is that you take 10% of the cost of your system and that is how much your cabling should cost?