Mac OS X USB at 1.0 speeds

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited October 2008 in Science & Tech
I upgraded to Leopard this last weekend and now when I use my flash drive, the transfer speed through my USB ports is absolutely terrible. 10 megs worth of files takes about for minutes to transfer over.

Are there any solutions for this?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    I just have to say it but on the iMac's only the USB ports on the back of the computer are USB 2.0 the ones on the back of the keyboard are only 1.0

Outside of that not sure why you'd be having this problem.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    I just have to say it but on the iMac's only the USB ports on the back of the computer are USB 2.0 the ones on the back of the keyboard are only 1.0

Outside of that not sure why you'd be having this problem.

I'm on a Macbook pro, I previously was transferring with 2.0 speeds on this spot.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Wait! Mac's are just supposed to work :confused:

Is there any type of hardware list available? Like a Device Manager? Perhaps during the install.. USB2.0 was "switched off" in EFI or something?

Does Leopard incorporate such a function that it could be set to 1.0 by mistake?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Your laptop is trolling you.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    One other thing I was thinking of (have no way to test) is that the power saving features may turn down power to the usb ports to save battery life.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    lolwut
  • PuppetoPuppeto Chattanooga, TN New
    edited October 2008
    I had this issue with my Macbook a while back. Try checking to see if this happens with any other devices or if it is just with that specific flash drive. When you did the upgrade to Leopard did you do a clean install or upgrade over 10.4?

As someone had also previous said check your power management settings. You can also try resetting your power management on boot by rebooting the mac with cmd(apple key)-p-r pressed until the apple logo on boot cycles at least once (sometimes you'll get a beep confirming this on some systems). This will reset the power management controller and has fixed a few problems I've had before.

Try doing that and see if the problem persists. Keep an eye on apple update as well as, admittedly, apple isn't perfect (even though most people try to say they are) when they release a new OS revision.

Anyway my copy of Vista just arrived. I'm going to go become a sadomasochist now and upgrade my xp boxen. :)
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I reset my PMU a few weeks ago and the problem was fixed.