Should I get a 9600XT?

t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
edited January 2004 in Hardware
I am looking for a new video card, but do not want to spend a lot.
I am not a hardcore gamer so I don't need the greatest.

I was looking at the 9600XT, and it looks pretty decent.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I got one and I love the thing. 3dmark isnt as fast as my old 9700pro but My games look richer adn run just as fast. Maybe 30 fps in UT but out of 380 fps that doesnt matter. I got the Saphire card and did a little cooling upgrades just for fun and It looks sweet! http://www.tehgnome.com/9600%20Xt/

I would Def recommend this card
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Barring a 9500 Pro, which is near impossible to find at this point, the 9600XT is THE card to have in its price range.
    edited December 2003
    << gots a 9500 pro too and its not as fast as my 9600 xt
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2003
    9500 Pro is the fastest mid-range card available. :D (8x1 @ 275, 128 bit memory @ 550)
    9600XT is a close second. (4x1 @ 400, 128 bit memory @ 600).

The 9600XT will scale slightly better in AA/AF situations due to its' extra memory bandwidth, but the 9500 Pro offers better performance... until you can get the 9600XT's core over 550 MHz... :)
    edited December 2003
    I have a 9500 pro in the same system thats next store only diff is the video cards in every test the 9600 xt came out on top. plus with anti aliasing on for NFS underground its alot faster and richerlooking
    edited December 2003
    There's something not quite kosher here then.

Both same Catalyst revision? Both exact same image quality setup? Both same chipset driver setup? Both same OS?

The numbers can't lie here. 9500 Pro outperforms 9600XT in raw fillrate and Pixel Shader/Vertex Shader performance. 9600XT will offer marginally better scaling AA/AF performance.

Image quality wise... unless some of the settings are different, if both adapters use the same Catalyst's, they should look identical as both cards are based off the same engine as the R300. :)
    edited December 2003
    identical freshinstalls of win xp same drivers and all. Maybe cause i have the 9600 xt oced 40 mhz on the core
    edited December 2003
    Wierd.

Running stock the 9600XT has a 200 MegaPixel/sec fillrate deficency compared to the 9500 Pro...

Could be because NFS Underground is built for PS/VS more than texture fillrate, hence how the 4 speedy PS/VS of the 9600XT could outperform the 8 slower PS/VS of the 9500 Pro (speeds being the clock speeds of the core).

Theoretically, I would have thought that 4 PS/VS would need to work at double the speed of the 8 PS/VS in order to achieve the same level of performance...

I guess it all depends on the game engine...
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited January 2004
    I would have to agree the 9600XT is a very nice card for its price range.