98SE vs. ME

MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Okay I'm thinking about ME over 98SE but all I hear are horror stories. Before anyone suggests NT, 2K or XP (you Linux guys stop laughing) please note that this is for a particular project I'm doing to make a psuedo embeded DAW o/s. More here:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=208

and here:

http://www.prosoundreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73

So I understand the System Restore thing will slow down performance and it is difficult to really remove. Any opinions on this and any other ME issues?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've rarely ever used ME, but all of my experiences have been negative. ME feels thrown together, it feels piecemeal. It would stick with 98SE for this project if you really can't go to 2K or XP. ME is like, "let's take some of the features of 2K and toss them over 98 and call it something else, even though they don't work"...

Stay away from Millenium.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    I was thinking as much. I'm planning on exchanging some files though. Have you seen this?:

http://members.aol.com/AXCEL216/98-5.htm#KRM9S

It's a pretty indepth AXCEL 216 article about replacing 98SE FIles with ME files.
    edited June 2003
    Axcel's site is getting hit so often AOL has put limits on his daily bandwidth. So if someone is interested in this topic I zipped the HTML page for you here!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for attached, as far as the topic at hand goes, if you are stuck with either ME or 98, I would say 98 wins hands down. I forked out the dosh for ME when it came out and moved to Windows 2000 not long after. ME was just a filler before XP came along. In my opinion it was a waste Microsofts time, and the consumers money.
    edited June 2003
    Thanks Spinner. I really get a kick out of Axcel's articles. (wish we could get him to join Short-Media).

I know this 9.x stuff is purely academic at this point but thanks to everyone for helping me out.

"I'd like to say that as far as stripping 9.x goes, I am not alone. It will be interesting to see what happens to this antiquated o/s as time goes on. True, it will never be GPL like Linux, but I think there is still life in it. God knows what people are doing in their basements as we tweak."
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said
    I've rarely ever used ME, but all of my experiences have been negative. ME feels thrown together, it feels piecemeal. It would stick with 98SE for this project if you really can't go to 2K or XP. ME is like, "let's take some of the features of 2K and toss them over 98 and call it something else, even though they don't work"...

Stay away from Millenium.

I started to whip off my thoughts on this subject, but decided to be a good citizen and read all the posts first.

primesuspect said it all.:D

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the “This Weeks Utilities Discussion” thread under General Software!!!:nudge:
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    I'm using Me now... I'd rather go back to 98se, and in a perfect world, I'd be on 2000 but my stupid sound card manufacturer only released the drivers as a beta and they're not available anymore... XP only. I need to track someone down who has them and beat them with a stick until they give it to me.

Me seems less stable than 98, and I don't think they added anything useful to it.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    i had ME for like a couple of days...and i quickly changed back to 98se
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    MarkTAW said
    I'd be on 2000 but my stupid sound card manufacturer only released the drivers as a beta and they're not available anymore... XP only

Why don't you do the obvious and replace the sound card. I don't see how it is that good if they only release drivers for XP. It took me 6 months to think of replacing my network card, I was just so keen on finding the drivers for it.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Well, after some tweaking I have Windows ME running very smooth. I occasionally have weird problems I have NEVER seen before on any OS, but I have it running 24/7 and dispite it's a crappy old HP, it runs for weeks before needing a restart. Plus, my mom uses it, and of course she does all the crap an average end user does, but it still kicks along.

/me thinks back to 4 years ago when he did the same thing and called himself a geek

Thank god I have my own homemade system with Windows 2000 Pro and NOT XP! :mullet:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Most my mates still run ME, and when I used ME it was rock solid, and still is for them (without modifiying anything). Maybe its a US thing, but its been fine over here, a nice step up from 98SE.

NS
    edited July 2003
    So would anyone care to document the core problems that exist and if/how they can be fixed/tweaked?