Power requirements?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Hi all, could somebody tell me which would use more power, an 8800 GTS or two 7800GTs in SLI?
The boys are both having an upgrade but one has a bigger PSU so he will get the hungrier one.
Thanks all.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    A solid Corsair, Thermaltake or OCZ power supply in the 650 or 700w range is more than adequate for such a system. Make sure the supply has the proper number of PCI Express molexes (and of the proper type, 6pin v. 8pin) to fit the desired video configuration.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2008
    Yes but I need to know which has the least power demand, the one that'll go in the PC with the smaller PSU. Currently both have identical 7800s, one will be be getting an 8800 and the other will gain a 7800.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Bothered, this site here will allow you to pick all the parts in the computer and determine the absolute minimum power requirements. It allows for selection of specific video card configurations and specific CPUs, etc.
    edited September 2008
    Thanks Thrax but I'm after something much simpler than that. The boys have a PC each. They both have a 7800GT. I am getting a 8800GTS back from MSI (eventually, eight weeks so far). All I want to know is which consumes less power, 2 7800s in SLI or a 8800GTS?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Putting components into the site (leaving everything alone and switching from SLI 7800GT to 8800GTS 512)

The 8800GTS consumes less power then 2 7800GT's by 16W
    edited September 2008
    Thank you, it's not much difference then really.
    Thanks all.