Am i not doing something right on my digi cam?

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited February 2005 in Internet & Media
ok, i bought 256mb os SD memory for my digital cam, and i put it in the right way, and try to take some picutres, but the camera beeps, and says disk full, and i only have a total of about 32 pictures, totaling about 8mb, that's only the internal flash memory, how come it's not saving any pictures to the SD card??

Comments

• maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited December 2003
    What kind of camera? If you have 2 different memory sources then you may have to switch (maybe a button or a menu choice).
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2003
    Is there somewhere you can configure the camera to save to the SD flash card instead of the internal 8 MB memory card?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    i could find any place on the menu to do that tho
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Make & Model of camera?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    See if there is some way of formatting the flash card from the camera. I had the same problem with my Dads camera as the card had been formatted to FAT32, formatting it again with the camera itself solved it.
    edited December 2003
    It's a 3.1mega pixel mercury deluxe classic cam, it's a cheap little cam.
    edited December 2003
    i think there is a way to format, but it only formats the internal memory, tried it twice, didn't help.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Ok, do you have a flash card reader on your PC? If you do, check what filesystem the card has on it (right click, properties should tell you) and if it is anything other than just "FAT", format it. Infact, format it anyway, just make sure you select "FAT" not "FAT32" or anything else.
    edited December 2003
    ahh, don't have a memory card reader, is there any other possible way to do this??
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Shouldn't have to. You should be able to choose the SD card as the source. You can always try to to back to default settings WITH the card installed. Also try to connect it to the pc via the usb. You should be able to format it that way otherwise. Either the cameras software will find the card, or the native XP drivers will i'm sure.
    edited December 2003
    Have you considered that maybe the camera only supports a max of 128mb SD?

Also, check the write protect tab on the SD module itself.
    edited December 2003
    the write protect isn't on, and i check the camera, it just says external SD cards, nand didn't say anything about max size.

/EDIT, NVM it did say, but it says up to 512, so 256 isn't a problem.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    leishi85 had this to say
    i think there is a way to format, but it only formats the internal memory, tried it twice, didn't help.

According to the manual on that unit, and it does not look like there is an option to choose the card as the storage device, it shuold just be automatic with the format, which should format the card as well. Did you insert the card properly with the power shut off, then turn it on? Did you get any error messages, or does the memory simply not show up? And do you know that the card itself is good? Can you test it in another camera? Or do you have another card to test in your camera? You may just have a bad SD card.

Dexter...
    edited December 2003
    I tried earlier with my friend's SD card that i/he know it's good, and i did insert the card in correctly, and there is no error messages, the card just wouldn't get recognized i guess.

and i don't have another camera that uses SD to test.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    There is only one other set of things I know to do, and both are a maybe. Try formatting it in anothr camera, maybe a friend's camera. It might be totally unformatted, as has been every new module I have bought in store. If you havbe none of those things available, card reader\writers are cheap and most cams will work with those as a giant floppy, which is why the BIg ones are normally FAT32'd if no formatting is available in cam functions.

My guess is, if you pull the batteries with camera off, put the card in right with write protect off, and run the format after replacing batteries and turning camera on and it still does not recognize the module, that it relies on externally formatted SD modules and that then the module DOES need to be formatted in a reader\writer. Those that need internal formatting have that in the cam software somewhere, so I would look in the cam manual and follow the menu trhough ALL the options, and look for a submenu that maybe lets you format just the module or the whole thing as I talked about above. Also look in the manual and see if it recommends a certain brand and model, if so tell us what brand and model moules it recommends and can maybe find out what they default to for being preformatted or otherwise. Once I got a preformatted flash module, had to erase first, then format, THEN it worked fine. just barely possible that camera wants to see empty module with NO formatting and no junk from static (erasing will ensure that) and THEN it will format or EVEN THEN OFFER to format the module. If not, it needs preformatted modules or to have modules formatted with a readr\writer hooked to computer.

Sorry, that is best I can do without the camera in my hands.

John.
    edited December 2003
    Leishi - it could be that the camera is f*ed too.....
  • edited January 2005
    Seems I am not alone re the SD card problem. It aint you!
    It seems the camera loses the plot and stops sensing the SD-card. I find that you fix this by switching off the camera - flip open the battery compartment and remove and reinsert the card a few times. I guess the contacts are a bit suspect but usually this works. You will then be able to find all the photos you took also. Sometimes the association with the internal memory is lost but this trick usually works, although you can remove the SD card to find the internal photos if it is a problem - delete or move them and then switch off and reinsert the SD card to get the others.
    Yes I tried all the formatting stuff but generally if you have the problem with the card the computer has a problem seeing the camera SD-RAM as a drive (in Win-XP) also. Win 98 was a total pain for this sort of camera anyway so I upgraded. Hope this works for you too.

Regards from RicW (Western Australia)
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited February 2005
    I got a Pentax Optio S4i with 10mb of built-in memory. After a week I got a 256mb SD card and just plugged it to start working. No needed to format nor select the source.

Maybe the camera or the card are failing units.

I would go to a photo laboratory to ask them if they can test the card on a card reader. Here at Spain we have Kodak machines "do-it-yourself" for personal printing of photos where you can browse your card for free. If you don't print you don't pay.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    leishi85 wrote:
    It's a 3.1mega pixel mercury deluxe classic cam, it's a cheap little cam.
    I think it just sounds like a cheap ass POS camera that is more trouble than it's worth. I tried buying something similar once as a gift for a child and couldn't justify spending more than a Walmart special. In the end I got too fed up with it and returned it to buy a real camera. You always get what you pay for (sometimes even less)! :wtf:
  • edited February 2005
    RAPTOR! wrote:
    I think it just sounds like a cheap ass POS camera that is more trouble than it's worth. I tried buying something similar once as a gift for a child and couldn't justify spending more than a Walmart special. In the end I got too fed up with it and returned it to buy a real camera. You always get what you pay for (sometimes even less)! :wtf:

Check the date on the post, man. I really doubt it's still an issue. ;)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Check the date on the post, man. I really doubt it's still an issue. ;)
    Holy bat thread revival!!! ;D

Thanks for straightening me out SmJ. :thumbsup: