Hp Pavilion dv8000t. Overheating and single gold stripe on screen.

I was wondering if anyone knew whats up with this? My laptop overheats of I put it on a solid surface (table, desk, chair, bed) for a few minutes (Like when I go to grab a Pepsi or something). I did notice a single gold stripe on the screen on the far far right of the screen.

I tried getting a can of compressed air and blow it into the fan... but that just made the lines worse (got it back to 1 line).

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on it.

Does anyone know how to fix it? I was thinking of popping open the case and checking for dust, and takeing all the dust out that i see.... But I dont want to break the laptop.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Ok,... For about 5 hours now there has been a blue stripe next to the gold stripe on the far right side of the screen.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Sounds like your GPU is overheating, my friend. It could also be a dying connector to your screen. Can you hook up the laptop to an external monitor to see if the same stripes are present?
  • edited September 2008
    Sounds like your GPU is overheating, my friend. It could also be a dying connector to your screen. Can you hook up the laptop to an external monitor to see if the same stripes are present?

ok, I tried it and the stripes were not present on the 2nd display.

I just found out the warrenty expired on the laptop too...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Then it would appear that the LCD or the connection to it has an issue.
  • edited September 2008
    Would that be an easy fix? I have never taken apart a laptop before...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It's probably the screen. Chances are, this is not an easy (or cheap) fix. If you need a new panel, you're probably better off starting to think about a new laptop.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    The pictures seem to be gone (but some of the links work to click and bring up the pictures)

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47511

We did this at the IC Lan one year. I found the guide online off the HP site and it give step by step instructions (what screws, etc and everything) It is not terribly hard to do.

Just make sure you have a good work area and I recommend some white towels/paper to lay all the screws in groups together based on where you take them out of the laptop. Makes them easy to find and put back in.

Here is the manual that we followed to disassemble the laptop: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00554540.pdf
  • edited September 2008
    ok, Thanks guys. I will look around for a new screen and get a new pc eventually...

Dad lost his job a while ago and just replaced 2 pc's... so a new pc now wont happen for a while.