9700pro to 9800pro - Worth it?

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I have a perfectly acceptable Radeon 9700pro in my current rig. However.. Im so tempted to move to the 9800pro (you know how the upgrade path works).

I was just looking for thoughts on the prospect of this. Is it a worthwhile upgrade or am I just being tempted by the thought of havin the very latest & greatest?

There is nothing technically wrong with my 9700pro, I just want the very best. Possibly, not the smartest move however, if the performance gain is minimal.

From my initial research, the 9800pro has plenty of merit and is a monster card (even against the heavier priced 5900Ultra).

What do you guys think?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    It's so tricky... Off hand, I'd say wait 3 months and see... Because by that time, there will be something that either kicks the 9800Pro's ass, or the 9800pro will be cheaper.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    I say you should go into the registry and hack it, and some other stuff so that it says 9800 instead of 9700 in windows. Then go to a hypnotist to convince you that you actually bought a 9800 and you should be happy.
    (i dont think its worth it)

~dodo
  • edited June 2003
    if you do get a 9800 i will take your 9700 off you for under a hundred <cough> please!! am begging!! ;)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Go on, you know you want to.

/me tries he new and improved persuasion technique out on Shorty

You cant let me have the better video card now can you :D

/me point finger at Shorty laughing :nudge:
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Not worth it IMHO.

The 9700 Pro is perfectly capable of playing games today, and I'm sure it will be perfectly capable until at least Christmas.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You can get the 9800pro now and just give me that crappy old 9700pro... You won't be needing it any more.....
    edited June 2003
    Shut up dude, it's my birthday. If he DOES get rid of the 9700 Pro, we both know where it's going.

/me eyes his AGP slot.
  • edited June 2003
    lets not forget who asked first, me. first come first serve.... hard luck guys ;)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Shorty,

The 9800 is getting released as an AIW any day now, why not go for that? There´s plenty of speed in the 9700 and you haven´t used it to it´s end yet, i promise you. There´s no app or game that needs more than 9700 yet, and it will take a long time until that happens. What resolution do you normally play games at?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    dodo said
    I say you should go into the registry and hack it, and some other stuff so that it says 9800 instead of 9700 in windows. Then go to a hypnotist to convince you that you actually bought a 9800 and you should be happy.
    (i dont think its worth it)

~dodo

;D Yeah. That could work :D
    -animal- said
    if you do get a 9800 i will take your 9700 off you for under a hundred *cough* please!! am begging!! ;)

Nice try there chap ;)
    Necropolis_uk said
    Go on, you know you want to.

/me tries he new and improved persuasion technique out on Shorty

You cant let me have the better video card now can you :D

/me point finger at Shorty laughing :nudge:

I admit there is the tiniest amount of jealousy there. Pah.
    primesuspect said
    You can get the 9800pro now and just give me that crappy old 9700pro... You won't be needing it any more.....

Another good try but not cigar.
    Khaos said
    Shut up dude, it's my birthday. If he DOES get rid of the 9700 Pro, we both know where it's going.

/me eyes his AGP slot.

You are a diehard who mocks my music taste. Sing backstreet boys for it :D
    -animal- said
    lets not forget who asked first, me. first come first serve.... hard luck guys ;)

What a pack of vultures :eek:
    edited June 2003
    Mackanz said
    Shorty,

The 9800 is getting released as an AIW any day now, why not go for that? There´s plenty of speed in the 9700 and you haven´t used it to it´s end yet, i promise you. There´s no app or game that needs more than 9700 yet, and it will take a long time until that happens. What resolution do you normally play games at?

1280*960 normally. I think I just wanted to have the very best. Foolish really. Il stick to my 9700pro for a little while longer. I really do like the look of the AIW 9800pro but it lacks dual monitor. I can't live without my dualie vision now!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Shorty said

1280*960 normally. I think I just wanted to have the very best. Foolish really. Il stick to my 9700pro for a little while longer. I really do like the look of the AIW 9800pro but it lacks dual monitor. I can't live without my dualie vision now!

This is something that I LURVE about my 9800. I can play all my games in 1600*1200 and have all the lovely gubbins turned up to the max. mmmm ;)

/me keeps pushing Shorty. I will make him poor soon enough :nudge::D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Shorty said
    Mackanz said
    Shorty,

Does it really lack dual? No, can´t be right or?
    edited June 2003
    Mackanz said

Does it really lack dual? No, can´t be right or?

Taken stright from the specs Mack :(

"Display Support :

One display (VGA or DVI) simultaneously connected with a TV or VCR "

http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/aiw9800pro/specs.html
    edited June 2003
    Pffffffff, keep your sub-par video card. Backdoor Boys? NEVAR!!!!!!11
    edited June 2003
    Khaos said
    Pffffffff, keep your sub-par video card. Backdoor Boys? NEVAR!!!!!!11

:beer: Okie then mate.. guess u DONT need it that badly :aol: