Time for a new Video Card?

edited July 2009 in Hardware
Lately I have been having problems with my video card, so I reformatted just to isolate problems from lag issues and slow processing. Even after a fresh format, new drivers installed, everything.. my video card after about 20-30 minutes of gaming (mostly CoD4) i will begin getting more and more artifacts, until it either is out of control and unplayable, or I simply freeze, and end up either waiting a solid 10-20 seconds for it to come back, or have to cold boot it and restart. My idling temperature on deskop is around 60C and from what I've been able to see (before I freeze) during playing I'm at about 80C, maybe a little higher.

What do you guys think?

FYI, its an Radeon x1950XT 256mb, for what it's worth.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    You've got cooling issues, bud. I'd try to get those temps down by getting some decent airflow in your case. Everything is running hot.

I'd look into an inexpensive but very capable HSF for the CPU like the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer for $35, and then throw in a HD 4860 for $80.

You'll be in a better position overall.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    The idle temps on that are actually a little high but the load is spot on. My 1900xt 512 lets its self go to 88C when it loads. The core is fine so I would simply take the card out and clean the cooler and see if you push more air around the card.....still sounds like a heat issue but the core temps are actually correct.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yes, get some air flowing through the case and try to set up a fan to draw the video cards' heat out of the case before it makes everythig else hot in there.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    There's also a possibility that some of the RAM on the graphics card is going bad...

Small spot of bad ram might not be noticeable at first, but if data passes through it, it would come up as an error (artifact), which as the card passed more data through it, could potentially snowball out of control like he's describing.

Look into the cooling issue first, but it sounds more to me like the RAM on the card is in its death throes.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    DOH. Failed to observe the original posting date. Hay tim, sup with reviving the 10-month-old thread? :crazy: