Hurricane Ike problem..

edited September 2008 in Hardware
hi im new here,
My brothers computer went underwater in the floods of Hurricane Ike, I know its very possible to retrieve files normally but was curious if the waters made it impossible this time, and also what would be the easiest way to get the files off doing it myself.

Thanks for any imput, feel free to email me also.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Chances are that if the hard drive was submerged, you'll need a professional company to attempt data retrieval. Was the entire computer underwater?
  • edited September 2008
    I dont believe the whole thing was submerged, but it was saltwater that came up in the storm surge, so im afraid there might be damage from that alone, what would be the easiest way to get the files off? i have thought about hooking it straight to an old computer i have but i would rather if there was some type of a connection i can hook it up like an external hd, that is if it even works still.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    You can try an external enclosure (check the IC marketplace for a good deal) if you think the drive might still work. If the drive itself looks damaged, then trying to read it that way would just damage it further.

Also, data recovery services are extremely expensive, so you don't want to go that route unluss this data is extremely important.