SATA Help

wthwwwthww Terre Haute, Indiana
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Hi! I'm in the process of building a new file server. My previous one is a Dual 1.4 P3 with U320 SCSI. Its loud, big, slow, and has a relatively small size. I need to build another raid setup for all my files. I've been trying to find motherboards with 6 ports, but Am not having much luck. Can anyone recommend one or a half assed PCIe sata raid card that will do the trick?

//wthww

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    almost any p43 or better intel board has 6 sata ports, just need to make sure they have the ICH10R southbridge. A board specifically would be the gigabyte p45-DSR, $126 but shop around thats pretty close to retail.

The raid card would be worth investment because then if you move the drives from rig to rig you don't have to rebuild just load the drivers. Then if you are going to do that then you should buy one that is hardware raid. For suggestions....none just go shop around looking at Highpoint or Promise Tech.
  • wthwwwthww Terre Haute, Indiana
    edited September 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    almost any p43 or better intel board has 6 sata ports, just need to make sure they have the ICH10R southbridge. A board specifically would be the gigabyte p45-DSR, $126 but shop around thats pretty close to retail.

The raid card would be worth investment because then if you move the drives from rig to rig you don't have to rebuild just load the drivers. Then if you are going to do that then you should buy one that is hardware raid. For suggestions....none just go shop around looking at Highpoint or Promise Tech.

I've been thinking this would be the best route. This will allow me to get the cheapest mobo/cpu combo available, and still get decent performance. With the prices on 500gb+ drives falling, I have no reason not to.

//wthww
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    With the raid card if you get a "real" raid card look for one that will have around a P3 or equivalent and a slot for a stick of ram. Granted this all might seem fairly overkill but it will be fast and give you no reason to ever replace it for a decade unless it dies. Plus then the card should allow active rebuild so you don't have down time if a drive fails as well as something to brag about. You can always buy a SAS card but the cables to go to sata are expensive, but it does allow you to use SAS if you are interested since you were running the 320 SCSI.
  • wthwwwthww Terre Haute, Indiana
    edited September 2008
    So, I've settled on something from 3Ware, because current low priced Adapted cards are very old, prone to corruption, and can only go to 2.5 tb. If you watch eBay, there are some very sweet deals on 3Ware hardware.

//wthww