Toshiba Laptop Recovery Disc

fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Can anyone help me out with this?

I've got a Toshiba Sattelite 2805-S503 That came with Windows Millennium OS and a Recovery Disc. It's a great machine but a windows reinstall was long overdue so the other day I popped the recovery disc in and formatted the hard drive. It started inflating files off the disc but ran into a brick wall when it gave me "cannot extract file" errors :banghead:

Turns out the recovery disc has a small scratch on it... not very big but extremely deep and my efforts to buff it out (got a disc doctor) were in vain. I tried installing win2k and xp but it told me the CDROM drive couldn't access the files. :nudge:

I tried calling toshiba but those guys are no help whatsoever. They kept telling me to take it to one of their service centers, but the closest one is a 2 hour drive away. My next step is to take it to the CompUSA where I bought it and try to get them to fix it (and see if there's anything wrong with the CD-ROM drive)... but I was hoping you guys could help me out.

If any of you have a recovery disc for my model laptop (I'd love to have an NT OS instead of winME but I don't really care), I'd greatly appreciate it if you could help me out and upload an image to me.

If you can help plz either post in this thread, send me an e-mail, PM, or instant message. thanks in advance!

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I may be able to help, but it'll have to wait till morning, as the cd would be in my brother's room, and he's sleeping now. We have (i believe) the exact same laptop.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    ah shizzle... my brother lost it. I'll keep an eye out for it tho. Sry :(
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    haha figures... thanks anyways though. Let me know if the situation changes :)
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    This maybe helpful.
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=144642&moid=1073833652&BV_SessionID=@@@@0449810316.1056320591@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcijfjiglkcgfkceghdgngdgli.0&ct=SB

This should be the helpful bit.
    Clean Install:

With the Windows 2000 CD in the CD-ROM drive, power the computer on while holding down the "C" key which boots the Toshiba Computer to the Windows 2000 CD.
    Important Note!
    "Step 2" below, requires pressing the F5 key, not the F6 key as shown on the Windows screen. DO NOT hesitate too long when you see the prompt for F6 or Windows will just run automatically. (The F6 message displays at the very beginning of the W2K install process and is displayed near the bottom left of the screen).
    When you see the following message displayed at the bottom of the screen "Press F6 for SCSI drivers, etc, "DO NOT press F6, Press the F5 key instead.
    Use the arrow keys to scroll up to the choice: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.
    Note: This forces an ACPI install and the W2000 Pre-Setup continues.
    On the "Welcome to Setup" Screen press ENTER to continue.
    Read through the "Windows 2000 Licensing Agreement" using the Page Down key to scroll through the document. When you have understood the W2K Agreement press the F8 key if you agree.
    Windows 2000 setup will display your existing partitions and unpartitioned disk space. Use the arrow keys to select the partition you would like to install Windows 2000 on and then press the ENTER key to continue the install. You also have the options to Create a partition in the unpartitioned disk space (C) or Delete the selected partition (D).
    Windows 2000 setup will display the drive letter and size of the partition that will be used to hold the Windows 2000 installation. You will also have the option to leave the current file system intact (no changes) - this is the default, or Convert the partition to NTFS. You will be able to convert the partition to NTFS after the Windows 2000 setup is complete. Press the ENTER to continue.
    Windows 2000 setup will copy files to the Windows 2000 Installation folders. After this completes the configuration will be initialized, the system will reboot, the graphical portion of the Windows 2000 setup will begin, and Setup will detect and install devices.
    Windows 2000 offers the opportunity to change regional and keyboard settings if required. If not simply click on Next.
    Enter *Name and Company and press Next. *Name is a required field!
    Enter the Product key.
    Enter a Computer Name and Administrative Password and click next.
    Verify the Time, Date and Time Zone settings and click Next.
    Setup Note: Windows 2000 installs any applications and components and then runs any final tasks which include installing the Start Menu and Register components it saves settings and then removes any temp files it has created.
    Windows completes the Windows 2000 Setup. Remove any floppy disks and/or CDs, click Finish and Windows 2K will Restart.
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    I tried booting from my winxp cd again by pressing C, but it gave me the error "cannot read media, please check cable" Chances are I'm going to have to have it serviced.... I called my friend at CompUSA, what a pain this is turning into.
  • edited May 2006
    fuxor wrote:
    I tried booting from my winxp cd again by pressing C, but it gave me the error "cannot read media, please check cable" Chances are I'm going to have to have it serviced.... I called my friend at CompUSA, what a pain this is turning into.
  • edited May 2006
    Fuxor,
    I have the same laptop as you...bought it in September 2001. I wasted no time in getting Windows ME off there, and Windows 2000 installed. I have since upgraded to Windows XP Pro...about a year ago. And it has been working great with both 2000 and XP installed.
    Anyway, I believe I still have the originaly recovery CDs for when it had ME on there. It does me no good now. Your welcome to them, if you still need them. Contact me at Gen-Mngr@islandimportsco.com.

Thanks,
    Chris