Help for my computer issues, please?

edited September 2008 in Hardware
I cannot start Windows because:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Having researched this online, most sources seem to say that what would be ideal would be to boot up using the Windows XP setup CD, and activate the repair function and proceed from there. However, the location of said CD escapes me completely. Let us assume it is gone, never to return.

Thus, I was wondering is there was a way around this issue. For example...I know you can get .dll files from http://www.dll-files.com. Could I somehow copy an non-corrupt hal.dll file onto a CD and get that to load and reinstall itself on my computer? If so, I have no idea how to do that. Or perhaps that idea would never work, for whatever reason.

So...any constructive ideas out there? I would be immensely grateful.

- Graham

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Very unfortunately, there is no way to resolve this problem without a Windows CD. All possible solutions require one. The error is not actually indicative of a corrupt HAL.DLL, but a larger problem that Windows has no proper error message for. Nobody has ever been able to identify the origin of the issue, either.