Toshiba satellite A30 randomly turns off

edited October 2008 in Hardware
:hair: My Toshiba satellite A30 randomly turns off, sometimes even as soon as it is started. I cleaned the heat sink and the fans and replaced the thermal paste but the problem persisted. I replaced the celeron processor which was overheating with a pentium 4 1.8Ghz since they use the same socket. It worked for an hour and then it crashed again since the tempreture continued to rise. Any other solution I can try or is it the motherboard that has gone bad?

Thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Does it turn off on both battery and AC power?
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited October 2008
    OMG, i just came on here to report the exact same problem, its just started and it happens with the battery in or out on ac power. Our laptop is a Toshiba Satelite Pro (SP6000)

It has no warnings and nothing in the logs. Just randomly turns off.
  • edited October 2008
    It turn off on both battery and when attached to the power supply. The laptop is not over clocked all settings are as at the time I bought it. I also unchecked the automatically restart box from the startup and recovery settings in my computer/proterites/advanced to see it it gives me any blue message but nothing happened. It just shuts down to a black sceen and then keeps shutting down as soon as the windows logon is reached, if you try to switch it on immediatley. I noticed that it is reaching very high temperatures with both processors (celeron and Pent4), within a few seconds the heat sink becomes very hot.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    I've run into this problem before and some times (not everytime) it's been a simple case that the fan that keeps everything cool isn't spinning or not spinning fast enough. A can of air has solved the problem each time. Lenovo's in particular detect the fan state at power on and if it's not functioning it won't boot up, though they do give you an fan error messages. Other laptops just shutdown if the CPU is to hot and won't turn on until it's cooled enough.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    My daughters A101 was doing the same. BAD FAN.
    I had to jury rig a repair, but all is smooth now.
    I would go back to the Cele in place of the Pent. You all of the help that you can on making less heat.
    edited October 2008
    Hmm, could be. Im going to run orthos and core temp and see how hot it gets and weather its causing it to turn off.
    edited October 2008
    Well, core temp wont work with it. Speed fan only shows 4 temp sensors. local temp, remote temp, hdd and temp 1

temp 1 on orthos is now at 78
    remote temp is at 76c -78
    hdd is at 62 -43

been running orthos for 10 mins
    edited October 2008
    Remote temp is up to 80 now running gromacs core
    edited October 2008
    And bing there it goes. 80c remote temp, may of been 81, not sure wasn't looking 78c on temp 1. does this sound like overheating?
    edited October 2008
    Anyone?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    80 is extremely hot. I'd say you're on to something there.
    edited October 2008
    Right then, ill get the jetwash out and give it a blasting :D Joking... air compressor.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Make sure that the fan is running at speed. Sometimes as they wear out they will run, but slower than they should.
  • edited October 2008
    Checked fans they were clean and seem to run correctly but the laptop is still shutting down.