Need help!!!

edited October 2008 in Hardware
Ok here is my story.

I have a hard drive from my old system (RIP due to lightning). Hard drive is ok and has Windows XP on it, as well as some old programs I like. Problem is when I installed it on my Compaq SR1913WM I found 2 issues.

1. I think I forgot my damn password. However I know several I can try. BUT......

2. Before to long I get the Blue screen.
Here is the info on it.

STOP 0x0000008E (0xc000005, 0x80614a10, 0xba62fb68,0x00000000)

I am ok with computers, but this has me screwed.
Any help would be great.

Regeards,
Nathan:confused2

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    So you attempted to plug a hard drive into a new machine with a Windows install that came from an old machine?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    you probably have a totally different chipset in the compaq than your old computer had. What kind of system did this come from?

Your best bet is to hook up the drive as a slave, copy important files off of it, and reinstall.

Another option is to do a repair install, which will let XP re-detect the appropriate storage/system devices for the compaq. You'll need your original XP CD and installation code. You can read how to do a Windows XP Repair Install. Go to the bottom of the article - the first part deals with CLEAN installs, while the last few paragraphs detail the repair process.
  • edited October 2008
    Now some of you will laugh...
    Yes the (old system) was self built in 2002, which is where the drive with XP Pro came from. I do have the original disc, however the validation sticker is not with me now. It was on the side of the old tower which I don't have anymore.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    When you plugged that old hard drive into a new system you were guaranteed to have a blue screen. Windows installs what's called a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and a SYSTEM registry hive that's custom-tailored to the install of Windows used for a specific set of hardware (your old Compaq). The HAL and the hive tell Windows what hardware you're running, and how best to use that hardware. If you take a hard drive containing a copy of Windows with a hive+HAL for your old Compaq, and put it in another computer, the OS loaded on that drive will freak out because the hive and the HAL aren't talking to the same hardware any more.

Your only solution is to install Windows on a fresh/new hard drive, and then use this guide to recover data off of the old one. If you no longer have the certificate of authenticity, you may be able to contact Microsoft for a replacement license, but in all probability you'll simply need to obtain a new copy of Windows.