-1015.48 MB RAM
-80 GB Hard Drive
-128 MB Video RAM
-Windows XP
-x86
-Video: Intel Express Chipset Family 82945G
-
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio

It's my parent's old work computer that they have had for a year. It has been left untouched in the house for half a year, so I decided to pull it out and get it going. It ran fine to begin with; I downloaded updates for Windows, software and drivers. It ran quite fast, with only the occassional moment where suddenly the monitor would say "No input signal" and I would have to reboot. But now it doesn't even give a screen. Also, the keyboard lights don't come on when I turn the computer on; the fans do turn on and are running. I have changed the monitor and cords, but it still doesn't work.:sad2:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    I'd suggest you open the case, blow off any dust and remove then re-seat any of the cards inside.
  • Randal-ThorRandal-Thor Australia
    edited October 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    I'd suggest you open the case, blow off any dust and remove then re-seat any of the cards inside.

Thank you for your quick reply.:)

The only card I could see was the RAM card, so I removed that. I blew out some dust and then reinserted the card. I put the case back on and after I pushed the power button, it made for a brief second and the first time ever, a beep. But it still didn't display a signal to the monitor.

Any other ideas?
    edited October 2008
    Do you have a different monitor you can check on it?
    edited October 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Do you have a different monitor you can check on it?

Yeah, I've already tried that. Both monitors work with my good computer. If I plug this problematic computer into either, it says the same thing . 'No input signal". I have tried different cords to. No luck.
    edited October 2008
    So it's a totally integrated motherboard that makes things tough. If it's not posting then there are only a few things you can try.

First try resetting the bios. There should be a 3 post jumper on the motherboard that allows you to reset the bios, it's typically labeled. You power off the computer flip the jumper to the reset position, turn the computer on let it boot up to post, turn it off again and then set the jumper back.

If that doesn't fix it time to do more trouble shooting. Remove any connected drives then pull out the ram and power it up and see if it complains in the form of a beep code. I don't know what the specific code for that mobo will be but generally the error code will be a few beeps not just one. The put the ram back in and see if the error pattern changes. Then do the same thing with the CPU. If you have any progress with these tests try them again with the drives connected. The trick is to try and trouble shoot one component at a time.

Now in all of this the only thing we haven't tested is the PSU. Now I realize that you said you've got fans and what not spinning. But it's very possible to have a PSU that is partially failing and delivers enough juice to power fans and lights but still not enough to turn the computer on. If everything else above has failed to help you'll need to see about testing the Powersupply. If you have a 2nd computer and neither of these are using a non-standard form factor you can just swap one for the other and give it a try.

Beyond all of that I'm out of suggestions.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited October 2008
    My guess is PSU is failing... underpowered
    edited October 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    So it's a totally integrated motherboard that makes things tough. If it's not posting then there are only a few things you can try.

First try resetting the bios. There should be a 3 post jumper on the motherboard that allows you to reset the bios, it's typically labeled. You power off the computer flip the jumper to the reset position, turn the computer on let it boot up to post, turn it off again and then set the jumper back.

If that doesn't fix it time to do more trouble shooting. Remove any connected drives then pull out the ram and power it up and see if it complains in the form of a beep code. I don't know what the specific code for that mobo will be but generally the error code will be a few beeps not just one. The put the ram back in and see if the error pattern changes. Then do the same thing with the CPU. If you have any progress with these tests try them again with the drives connected. The trick is to try and trouble shoot one component at a time.

Now in all of this the only thing we haven't tested is the PSU. Now I realize that you said you've got fans and what not spinning. But it's very possible to have a PSU that is partially failing and delivers enough juice to power fans and lights but still not enough to turn the computer on. If everything else above has failed to help you'll need to see about testing the Powersupply. If you have a 2nd computer and neither of these are using a non-standard form factor you can just swap one for the other and give it a try.

Beyond all of that I'm out of suggestions.

Hey.

I took out the RAM, and started the computer up. It made a continuous beeping noise so I turned the computer off. I then replaced the RAM and this time it booted perfectly.

Why did this work? Will I have to do it again?
    edited October 2008
    Hey.

I took out the RAM, and started the computer up. It made a continuous beeping noise so I turned the computer off. I then replaced the RAM and this time it booted perfectly.

Why did this work? Will I have to do it again?

i don't know... probably just needed to be re-seated, right? I mean... you took it out then put it back in and now it works, right? it probably wasn't seated properly... or your ram is failing... might be worth testing it with memtest86... or not
    edited October 2008
    i don't know... probably just needed to be re-seated, right? I mean... you took it out then put it back in and now it works, right? it probably wasn't seated properly... or your ram is failing... might be worth testing it with memtest86... or not

Hmm...yeah. I think I will run the memtest and see what it tells me.

Thanks guys.:) I'll let you know if it stops working.:wink:
    edited October 2008
    I could make a bunch of guess, from there being some dust blocking one of the pins on the ram and causing an issue. Or it could have been a weird setting in the bios that was causing a timing error on the board. It could also be bad ram and memtest should find it if that's the case.

But the end result is that sometimes computer just go weird and while there is a reason why reseting components often fixes the problem.
    edited October 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    I could make a bunch of guess, from there being some dust blocking one of the pins on the ram and causing an issue. Or it could have been a weird setting in the bios that was causing a timing error on the board. It could also be bad ram and memtest should find it if that's the case.

But the end result is that sometimes computer just go weird and while there is a reason why reseting components often fixes the problem.

Hmm...I will keep that in mind.

Also, I have been unable to run memtest86. This is because when I click F12 at the start to open up the boot device menu, it appears to freeze. I am no longer able to use the keyboard once the menu pops up asking me to choose a first boot device. I can't use any arrow keys, I can't press enter to accept and I can't press escape to exit. I have tried switching keyboards but it doesn't change the problem. I have also tried changing the USB ports. Still no difference. any ideas?
    edited October 2008
    I don't know... i mean...

first
    i would try a ps2 keyboard with no mouse connected

then
    pull out one of the memory sticks and try with one... then play musical chairs with them if you get success (one at a time, two at a time, switch slots, etc)... assuming you have 2 dimms... same idea if you have more though...

next
    if you have a psu sitting around (or that you can borrow from another pc), test your pc with that

next
    i personally would try with other memory (but that's b/c i usually have compatible memory available to me)

additionally
    I would unplug and remove all components possible except the necessary components... leave psu, motherboard, cdrom, memory, and video (unless you have an onboard video option you can use)... then try with your usb keyboard and with ps2...

if that doesn't work... ? maybe i have more ideas but by this point you probably should have success i would think... a lot of memory has a lifetime warranty these days... (although i guess your's is prob. oem)... try getting replacement mem and trying that (unless at this point you've already tested your pc with other mem)

maybe your motherboard is freaking out for some reason... keep your nose "open" for the smell of overheating components

I'm sure there's a more scientific method to go through these steps, but I can't say my troubleshooting methods are well-refined, but they usually work.