Can't log in to either yahoo or hotmail

edited October 2008 in Internet & Media
I can't log into either yahoo or hotmail. Haven't tried from another computer yet. Most of the rest of internet seems to work fine apart from amazon took a long time and i mean a long time to open, though was fine getting around amazon (normal speed). I obviously managed to log in here and have done on a not very well known jobs site as well. Also can't access "download.com"

When i open the yahoo page most of it (not all loads properly), then when i click on the "mail" button "a248.e.akamai.net" appears in the bottom left and it just doesn't load. I can also open hotmail, but when you put a username and password in nothing happens in that a blank screen comes up and its trying to load but never does.

Any gueses?

Comments

• AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2008
    How many firewalls are you running? I've seen stuff like this happen when people run two or three firewalls besides the Windows firewall. In my most recent case this person was running a McAffee firewall alongside a Verizon Internet Security firewall and they couldn't get online at all.

About a248.e.akamai.net :
    "Akamia is a fast caching solution for websites which have a great number of hits. These websites store there gifs and seldom changing popular apps at this cache hosting company. Numerous companies such as McAfee.com, Wells Fargo, B of A etc. post data and programs to Akamia. McAfee posts there DAT files at this location to support the user community in grabbing the latest DAT when a new virus threat hits. Several years ago McAfee ranked 23rd out of all websites in terms of activity. At present many companies would require 3 to 10 OC4 transmission lines. An OC4 is 28 T3's which is 784 T1's) to handle the volume of traffic. Many companies would not be able to stay in the .com world without Akamia."
  • edited October 2008
    Hello everyone,
    we can ignore the malware possibility:
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76097

I assume that brewsa only has the Windows Firewall running, since there doesn't seem to be an indication of commercial firewalls on the system. :)
  • edited October 2008
    I really don't know what i have running or don't but here's all the anti-virus "stuff" i've downloaded recently and sill have on my computer.

Avast
    Hijak this
    Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    Combofix
    Spybot
    Spywareblaster
    Superanti-spyware

and something that says "activescan2_en" don't know what that is.

I recently un-installed AVG

Thank-you
  • edited October 2008
    Ok, all of a sudden I have no problems logging into either yahoo, hotmail or going on to download.com.

The problem probably lasted about 24hrs.

But what does that mean? Do you think i have some sort of virus?