Question about SLi....

GothicSatan187GothicSatan187 Carleton, Michigan
edited October 2008 in Hardware
i'm building a new setup.. and i'm wondering if i should spend the extra cash on a MB with SLi, and a 2nd vid card... i plan on playing UT3.. but i only use a 19 inch monitor. i'm also tryin to keep this build under $1,000.

the system includes...

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W ATX
MSI NX8800GTS-T2D512E OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB

Case is still in question, as well as the MB, not sure if i should get an SLi capable one, and just wait on a 2nd card, or not even bother with it..

what do you think?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Given that you're only playing on a 19" monitor, it'd be totally pointless for you to get SLi. You would gain no speed benefits. SLi is only beneficial when running intensive graphical options at very large resolutions (1920x or 2560x).

Save the dough and go single. :) Get a good single video card and enjoy.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Yeah running SLI is not going to help you if its just for UT3. Building for SLi later is a nice idea but when the time comes for the second it would usually be better to buy just another high end card, usually will get better performance out of the whole system because SLi needs a really fast proc to feed it everything it needs. I have an "Sli" rig but I don't turn it on, I play everything with one 88GT