A little Outlook/VBA Help

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited October 2008 in Science & Tech
So I've got a bunch of sms msgs brought into Outlook 2003 via a program called TrueConnect. They function pretty similar to emails in how their viewed/stored.

For a project I'm working on, I need to get the body text from all the messages into a single txt file. All I want to have saved though is the body text. I started doing this manually and quickly hopped on google to find a better means to accomplish this. On this http://ask.metafilter.com/28600/Exporting-outlook-email-as-common-format someone responded with some VBA code. It's not intended to do what I need, but I was hoping someone may be able to help me out as I know nothing about VBA... I learned C/C++ years ago and still do lots of web work, so know some of the basics.

Essentially, it just seems like a loop that would grab the body text of the msg, add it to the file, and move on. The ideal script would format it something like this
Message Body 1 // Message Body 2 // Message Body 3.....

The // are how I'm choosing to delimit msgs. If anyone has any insight into how this may be best accomplished, I'd greatly appreciate it. TIA.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    No need to go to all that trouble.

In outlook go into File>Import and Export>Export to a File>Microsoft Excel (you may have to add in filters depending on your installation which will require the install disk)>Select your target mail folder (Inbox for example) Put in where you want the file to be saved> Then do a map custom field and delete all of the custom maps except the Body one.

Then you'll get exactly what your looking for. Instead of doing the xls file you could try doing the CSV export (which won't require you to install any filters). I tried it first but found the xls export worked better but as always YMMV.
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited October 2008
    ah kryyst, thanks so much. With tsv I get one big file that I can take into Dreamweaver and use Find and Replace to add my preferred delimitation marks. All I have to do is delete linebreaks. You saved me a ton of time.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    Good, glad to help. You could do a similar thing with the xls file if you have openoffice or excel. Just open the file up and then export it from there as a csv and set your delimitar to a custom one. Not sure which way is easier for you.
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited October 2008
    Thought I'd post this in case anyone else ever has to do something similar. Went from outlook to the excel file and then used this handy add-in to change the delimiter - http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=805 It seems there are multiple ways to do it, but this was the easiest.